Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking an experienced Rock Mechanics Engineer to help develop, build and support our growing Rock Mechanics Group across both our Mining & Minerals and our Environment & Infrastructure Solutions businesses.
The preferred office location is Burnaby, BC but there may be flexibility for the right individuals.
The Rock Mechanics Engineer will be responsible for supporting and developing a team, providing expertise and applying rock mechanic principles to surface and underground mine design problems. Full project scope, from study level to the detailed design and construction with the requirement to liaise with other technical specialists. This is a critical role in our team; as we expand our Underground Mining business and support our strong surface mining activities.
Strong experience in mining rock mechanics, rock engineering, investigations, analysis and design
- Support and develop the Rock Mechanics team
- Provide leadership and mentoring to multi-disciplinary teams
- Assist in marketing our rock mechanics capabilities and services, and help expand Wood's presence
- Assist in training staff and expand the teams' capabilities
- Demonstrated experience in project management, including budget, schedule and deliverable performance
- Support various mining and infrastructure engineering at various levels from conceptual studies to detailed engineering
- Knowledge of civil rock engineering excavations (foundations, tunnels and rock cuts)
- Perform and Oversee:
- Design of ground support requirements and of backfill requirements
- Design of open pits, slope stability analysis and determination using analytical and numerical tools
- Geomechanical site investigation work for infrastructure and mining projects including laboratory testing
- Foundation and tunnel design also an asset
- Network with staff from other Wood offices and divisions, and participate in cross-sharing of resources; Build strong and enduring relationships between Wood and its clients
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree in Geotechnical or Geological Engineering related to rock mechanics, with a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience working on infrastructure and/or mining projects
- It is essential that candidates have the following skills:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, those who can effectively run meetings and communicate clearly and accountably with clients, staff and co-workers
- Excellent organization/time management skills, a strong work ethic, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team, are preferred
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.