Skills: Crane Operator
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Bakersfield, California, United States
Operates traveling or stationary overhead crane (cab or ground controlled) to lift, move, and position loads, such as machinery, equipment, products, and solid or bulk materials, using hoisting attachments, such as hook, sling, or bucket. The Crane Operator will drive to and from the area office to the customer's location and back to the area office. This is a safety sensitive position.
- Available for duty seven (7) days a week, able to work more than an eight (8) hour shift. Due to our customers' demands this position will require flexibility in work schedules in order to meet the customers' needs based upon demand. Overnight stays and travel will be required.
- Observes load hookup and determines safety of load. Manipulates or depresses crane controls, such as pedals, levers, and buttons, to regulate speed and direction of crane and hoist movement according to written, verbal, or signal instructions. Cleans and maintains crane and hoisting mechanism. Inspects crane for defective parts and notifies supervisor of defects or malfunctions. May attach load to hook or other crane accessory prior to operating crane and be designated to drive to designated locations as required.
- Installs and removes crane booms, extensions and hook blocks. Positions crane outriggers assemblies and maneuvers in response to hand signals. Installs rigs and removes crane attachments. Performs clamshell, dragline, and hook block operations. Determines safe lifting capacities.
- Maintains accurate work tickets based on the Company's requirements and the work performed for the customer as well as maintaining accurate driving logbooks, pre-trip/ post-trip information and maintenance files on the crane. This position is responsible for alerting appropriate supervision when mechanical defects are noted as well as alerting supervision when hours worked may exceed DOT maximums.
- Performs and assumes other duties and responsibilities as may be required by immediate supervisor.
- Performs the primary thinking called for and encompassed by the overall Position Definition.
- Adheres to Company policies and work requirements.
Qualifications and Skills
- High School Diploma or GED
- Ability to read, write and speak English to the extent that they are able to understand verbal and written instructions as well as give verbal and written instructions in English; and the ability to use simple mathematical calculations using whole numbers, fractions and decimals (addition, subtraction, division and multiplication) to make job related calculations.
- Must have the applicable knowledge of DOT rules and regulations as required for the position and all job-related Company, Local, State and Federal requirements.
- An understanding of basic maintenance concepts required to perform light to heavy repairs as necessary. The position requires the use of hand tools and other equipment associated with the vehicle.
- Must have a background in crane and rigging. Operator must be able to show proof of history of operating hydraulic cranes up to 160 tons.
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritize tasks
- CDL with proper endorsements
- NCCCO Crane Certification
- Must pass pre-employment drug and alcohol screening as well as background check
- Oil & Gas Industry a plus
- Must be capable of working in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to bend, squat and kneel.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 60 pounds unassisted.
- Must be able to perform work wearing personnel protective equipment. Including but not limited to the following: rain gear, coveralls, hard hat, ear plugs and safety glasses.
- Must be able to work long hours and all shift schedules that may be up to seven days a week for extended duration's of up to 8 weeks or more.
Typical working conditions and hazards:
- Must be capable of working outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
This is a safety sensitive position. However, essential mental alertness requirements, which include the following, are required to be met as part of the essential job functions and must be met by Basic Energy Services applicants and current employees. To be considered and eligible for hire, each and every applicant and employee must:
- Work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner
- Have, display & maintain the ability to perform tasks involving high levels of cognitive function and judgment
- Not be mentally or physically impaired from any cause, that can adversely affect an employee's ability to safely and completely perform the duties of the position
- Have, display & maintain the ability to work in an unfatigued state
- Have, display & maintain the ability to accurately gauge lengths of time and distance
- Have, display & maintain the ability to quickly store and recall instructions in one's short term memory
- Have, display & maintain the ability to concentrate
- Have, display & maintain the ability to cope with sudden changes in surrounding and/or emergency situations and/or alarms
- Have, display & maintain, demonstrated caring, committed and concerned attitude about safety
If any applicant and/or employee is not able to meet these requirements indefinitely, said applicant and/or employee may not be eligible for employment, re-employment, or promotional opportunities, and may be subject to termination if it is determined that said applicant or employee is determined to be impaired, by following the Company's reasonable suspicion training, and process.
Reach your full potential.
Basic offers interesting and challenging opportunities for dynamic individuals who want to be part of the exciting oilfield services industry. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value and individual contributions of every employee.
- Highly competitive salaries
- Benefits programs
- Performance-based financial rewards
At Basic Energy Services, we are committed to being a leader in the oil and gas well servicing industry by:
- Providing services which exceed our customers’ expectations
- Maintaining a work environment that is satisfying to our employees
- Conducting our business in accordance with the highest ethical standards
- Generating a financial return to our shareholders that encourages their continued investment in the Company
We strive to fulfill that commitment by getting the job done right, every time.
That means completing our work efficiently to industry and customer standards without injury to people, damage to property or adverse impact to the environment.
We make Safety an integral part of our Mission and our daily work.
At Basic, our Safety Policy is based on 5 key fundamental elements:
- Our employees are our most valuable assets
- All accidents are preventable
- Our employees’ primary job responsibility is the safe completion of their assigned work
- We enable our employees to fulfill that responsibility by providing the appropriate training, equipment and work environment
- Our employees are granted the authority to slow down or shut down an operation they believe jeopardizes the safety of people, property or the environment