Skills: Geotechnical Engineer, Mining
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wood is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer with Tailings Dam Engineering experience to join our team based in any Wood Environment & Infrastructure Ontario office in Ontario with the flexibility to work remotely. The successful candidate will be specialized in mining projects with extensive tailings dam experience.
The ideal candidate will be a Professional Engineer with a strong background in the geotechnical aspects of dam safety evaluations and design. We are seeking a committed, detail-oriented individual who will be able to utilize their knowledge and experience. With a demonstrated ability to lead and grow a team of professionals performing engineering, construction and project management on behalf of our clients.
- Provide engineering analysis, design & reporting for mining environmental projects; tailings dams, water management system, waste rock, open pit, etc.
- Perform design and analytical functions including stability, seepage, bearing capacity and settlement analyses
- Perform Dam Safety Inspections/Dam Safety Reviews, Dam Safety Evaluations, Risk Assessments
- Perform technical writing & review of proposals & project documents; issued to clients, etc.
- Prepare design drawings & specifications from scoping study to detailed design and construction
- Develop construction and engineering cost estimates
- Prepare reports and coordinate support activities
- Review findings and prepare recommendations
- Work as an integral team member in a multi-discipline environment
- Liaise with other technical specialists including hydrogeologists, hydrologists, geochemists, rock mechanics, environmental and other disciplines
- Provide quality leadership & mentoring of junior technical staff
- Manage contractors and sub-consultants
- Manage projects in remote regions
Skills / Qualifications
- Graduate from an accredited university with a degree in Geotechnical, Civil, Mining or Geological Engineering
- Minimum of 15 to 20 years' experience in design and construction of earth dams obtained largely from mining projects
- Eligibility as a Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng, ing.), APGO, OIQ
- Experience with design and construction of tailings dams and related mine-site earthworks infrastructure
- Experience with design work incorporating the principles promoted by the Canadian Dam Association (CDA), or ICOLD, etc.
- Experience managing multiple mining and/or construction related projects simultaneously
- Proven experience with budgeting and cost forecasting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting
- Ability to travel, domestic & international travel required
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.