Skills: IT - Analysis & Management, IT - Software Development
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
The Development Manager is a member of the Baroid Software leadership team. This role is accountable for developing and implementing the company's vision for the role of SW Development within the department. The individual fulfilling this role is accountable for planning and overseeing the implementation of the development effort throughout the project lifecycle. This individual must possess strong leadership skills and thorough knowledge of development processes to ensure that team members are equipped to deliver the Development role within project teams.
General Description of R&R:
Under broad direction, supervises others either directly or through subordinate supervisors and/or team leaders. Coordinates diverse activities within a functional area. Develops, prioritizes and justifies various projects, processes and/or initiatives supporting strategic direction. Determines tactical direction with regard to policy/procedures, work force staffing, and budgeting. Participates in setting strategic direction. Develops and manages department budgets. Manages performance and salaries of staff by hiring, firing, conducting performance appraisals, coaching and mentoring for career and skills development, and arranging training. Leads a cross functional, cross department or cross center team in developing, prioritizing and justifying various corporate projects, PSL projects and/or initiatives (e.g., standards, best practices, lessons learned). Possesses broad understanding of business aspects and associated technology of the PSL. Exhibits general management skills and understanding of associated computer aided product development tools. Supports reliability analysis and promotes optimum use of development tools and standards during the design process. Incorporates project management techniques in all job processes. Understands and promotes quality directives. Job role is independently accountable for a large staff or support arm of the organization or a single profit/loss or revenue center, major product line, or support function. Skills are typically acquired through an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent degree, and minimum of 8 years of experience or through 14 years of related experience.
- Able to attract, develop and retain top talent within the Development discipline, including sustaining an effective succession management plan and evaluating employee performance
- Strong decision making and risk assessment to ensure the likelihood of successful product delivery
- Ability to create a strategy and work with the team to determine the tactical actions needed to implement the strategy
- Ability to manage Software Development Vendors including vendor selection, on boarding, off boarding, and monthly invoice reconciliation
- Stay current on latest test approaches and tools, and transfer this knowledge to the development team
- Able to analyze and improve organizational effectiveness using data collected from project results, lessons learned, and other input sources
- Ability to create, communicate, and execute an effective SW Development vision and strategy
- Demonstrate the value of the SW Development function; influencing the organization to stay committed to quality practices to ensure successful product releases
- Experience successfully managing globally distributed team with onshore and offshore components
- Lead Developers in working effectively on Collaborative Agile teams to support "potentially shippable' goal and strong collaboration across roles
- Provide Development leadership across the company to enable continuous improvement in SW Development Best practices within the organization to be successful (e.g. work with IT, Business, and Production Operations)
- IT savvy, able to understand required technology and infrastructure needed to support the SW Development function (Collaboration Zones, Tools, and Processes)
- Ability to take sole accountability for the SW Development discipline across technology centers
- Ability to guide SW Development strategy from a balanced, computer science and Oil & Gas, perspective
- Thorough understanding of the SW Development Discipline
- Self-starter, ability to work independently as well as effectively within a team environment
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; attention to detail
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Strong written, verbal, and presentation skills. Ability to articulate a problem and translate it into a written report
- Strong organization and project management skills. The ability to manage multiple strategic and tactical projects, following through from start to completion with minimal supervision
- Present good image of self, department and company to customers, users, and staff
Minimum Education / Experience:
- Bachelor of Computer Science or related degree
- 8+ years leading a large Enterprise SW Development team which is globally distributed delivering highly complex and integrated software across multiple platforms
- Experience working with current technologies in a Web/Cloud environment
- Familiar with different development tools, software configuration management tools, and other tools supporting the development lifecycle
- Proficient with Stage Gate and Agile process
- Experience in the Oil & Gas industry
- Experience implementing unit testing and SW design patterns to deliver quality software
- Ability to leverage advanced software development techniques in the software design and implementation process
- Candidates having a higher level of education or experience may be considered for a higher level position
Halliburton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, citizenship, marital status, sex/gender, sexual preference/ orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, national origin, or any other status protected by law or regulation.
3000 N. Sam Houston Parkway E., Houston, Texas, 77032, United States
Requisition Number: 89467
Experience Level: Experienced Hire
Job Family: Engineering/Science/Technology
Product Service Line: Baroid
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Additional Locations for this position:
Founded in 1919, Halliburton is one of the world’s leading providers of products and services to the upstream energy industry.
Halliburton is proud to be a services company, and our customers and investors appreciate our business model. Our strong competitive position not only comes from our geographic footprint and wide range of products and services, but also, more importantly, from the quality of our work and the dedication of our employees.
With approximately 55,000 employees, representing 140 nationalities in more than 80 countries, Halliburton touches much of the oil and gas that fuel our society.
Halliburton comprises 14 product service lines (PSLs). The PSLs operate in two divisions: Drilling and Evaluation, and Completion and Production.
Our Consulting and Project Management PSL works across both divisions and is the spearhead of our integrated-services strategy. Its financial results are included in the Drilling and Evaluation Division. PSLs are primarily responsible and accountable for strategy, technology development, process development, people development and capital allocation.
Integrity: Ethics and integrity are the foundation of our brand and the guiding principles for all we do.
Safety: Priority number one. We are focused on our own personal safety, as well as on the safety of others.
Collaboration: We work together with customers, and understand that everyone has a role in providing the best solution.
Competition: We compete to win, knowing that competition makes everyone stronger.
Creativity: We are resourceful. We are innovative, and strive to apply the right technology and solution every time.
Reliability: We deliver what we promise. We believe the quality of our service defines who we are.
Respect: We are honest with ourselves and with each other. We value our diverse skills and talents, and know we are stronger together as one family.
These values are our corporate DNA, the foundation for how we relate to each other and to every individual and entity with whom we interact. These are the principles that every Halliburton employee is expected to use, live by, and demonstrate on a daily basis.
Own Your Career
Our people are essential to our ability to innovate, achieve, grow, and lead. We attract and retain the best talent by investing in our employees and empowering them to develop themselves and their careers. We invest in our employees through leadership and competency development, competitive compensation plans, health benefits, work-life programs, and reward and incentive plans.
Opportunities for career development – and the tools you need to take advantage of them – are abundant. Combine those opportunities with your drive and capabilities, and your career path can go in nearly any direction you choose.