Skills: Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineer
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
Are you looking to take your career in hydrology and fluvial geomorphology to the next level? Are you passionate about applying your skills to developing solutions for water environment challenges for complex and high profile projects? Due to sustained strong growth in our Water Management business, we are seeking to appoint a talented and ambitious individual with skills in hydrology and/or fluvial geomorphology to develop our capability further. You will have a proven track record of technical project delivery in one or more of the following areas:
- High flows assessment and flood frequency analysis to support flood risk assessment (FRA);
- Hydrological yield and low flows assessments;
- Erosion risk assessment and design of scour protection measures
- Conceptual design for river restoration schemes; and
- Environmental impact assessment (EIA) for the water environment
You will also either have some experience of managing projects, or the desire to develop skills in this area. We can be flexible on location in order secure the best person for the job, and can offer locations across the UK including London, Reading, Bristol, Shrewsbury, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Glasgow.
Wood's Water Management team works across a wide spectrum of services covering water resources and security, hydrology and hydraulics, water quality, hydroecology and hydrogeology. Through our projects we provide high quality technical services and advice to a wide range of high profile customers in the UK and overseas, including government departments and agencies, the water industry, and a wide range of other industrial sectors, including power, transport, nuclear, mining, commercial and oil and gas.
You will contribute to a diverse range of water-related projects, but the main focus of your work is likely to be in the following areas:
- EIA and FRA for major infrastructure projects;
- Hydroecological impact and river restoration projects for a range of clients, but with a particular focus on water companies; and
- Erosion risk assessments for water and power utilities.
Your work will be varied and challenging and will include the following:
- Managing small projects, and tasking managing discrete tasks within larger projects, including coordinating inputs from others;
- Coordinating and carrying out field surveys;
- Leading on data analysis and modelling tasks, supported by guidance from a senior expert;
- Being the lead author of technical reports and presentations, supported by technical review from a senior expert; and
- Leading the development of proposals for small projects, or contributing to proposals for larger projects.
We offer a dynamic, but supportive environment for a motivated and talented individual to fulfil their potential. You would be co-located along with a wide range of other environmental and engineering disciplines in in one of our larger offices.
Wood recognises that their people are central to its success as a business. As a consequence, we are committed to a providing a comprehensive framework for the professional development of its staff, including:
- Access to extensive internal and external training opportunities;
- An Early Careers Network;
- A mentoring programme; and
- Support for gaining chartership through professional institutions.
Fairness, support in development and a safe work environment - these are all of great importance to us. Where people look out for each other, are respected and are recognised. Where people work ethically and safely. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. We truly believe that diversity within our workplace promotes an incredible diversity of ideas. We are happy to consider applicants who are interested in the role on a part-time basis and support flexible working arrangements.
Skills / Qualifications
We are seeking a highly motivated, numerate individual a strong interest in hydrology and/or fluvial geomorphology. This post will suit you if you have already established a career in environmental consultancy and are looking to develop to the next level.
Skills / Experience
- Experience of successful delivery of technical inputs to hydrology and/or geomorphology projects in a consultancy setting, including a good understanding of the legislative and policy context for your technical work;
- Some experience of the management of small projects, and/ or should have some interest in developing your project management skills;
- Strong numerate and analytical skills, and be able to apply these to analysing problems and finding solutions to novel challenges;
- You will collaborate effectively as part of a team, but also exhibit initiative in working individually on discrete tasks;
- Excellent communication skills, including being able to write high quality, concise reports;
- Practical experience in at least some of the following: use of MS Office tools (Excel, Access) in hydrological assessment; use of GIS packages such as ArcGIS; use of specialist hydrological or hydraulic modelling software, such as FEH, Catchmod, the HEC Suite, FloodModeller Pro or Infoworks ICM
- A full driving licence.
- Post graduate experience
- You will have a good degree-level qualification in a relevant subject, such as geography, geology, earth/environmental science or civil engineering
- You will have gained, or be working towards chartership with a relevant professional body;
- Masters degree in hydrology or geomorphology
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.