Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Lima, Callao Region, Peru
Wood is looking for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer for our Peru Operation.
The ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills, proven project/client management, and will be a recognized expert in the design and construction of tailings/earth dams, heap leach facilities, waste dumps, and other mining geotechnical structures. He/she will play a key role in the organization, part of Wood's succession plan; they will act as a subject matter expert in the geotechnical design and construction management of tailings, dam safety evaluations, reviews and design.
If you have a demonstrated ability to lead and grow a team of professionals and a proven track record in the geotechnical/geological consulting environment, this opportunity will provide both professional and personal satisfaction and opportunities for growth.
Key Responsibilities :
- Provide expert input in the engineering analysis, design & reporting for mining environmental projects, including:
- Tailings dams, water management system, waste rock, open pit, heap leach facilities, etc.
- Geotechnical characterization
- Stability, seepage, bearing capacity and settlement analyses
- Dam Safety Inspections/Reviews, Evaluations and Risk Assessments
- EoR (Enginer of Record)
- Identify, manage and develop business partnering opportunities, to continue to grow the business, and provide opportunities to take on new projects and/or new clients
- Perform technical writing and review of proposals & project documents; issued to clients, etc.
- Prepare design drawings and specifications from scoping study to detailed design and construction
- Effectively manage projects from conception to execution through to successful completion
- Develop construction and engineering budgets, schedules and reports for the management and coordination of project staff and sub-contractors to ensure safe, cost effective, efficient and timely completion of projects to meet and/or exceed client expectations
- Gathering up to date information from project sites, meeting with clients and constantly monitoring work performances
- Review findings and prepare recommendations
- Provide quality leadership & mentoring of junior technical staff to assist in professional development and growth as engineering practitioners
- Manage contractors and sub-consultants
- The position tasks will require periodic travel to project sites remote from Lima, as necessary to achieve project goals. In Peru, these sites are commonly located at high elevations, therefore it is required that you do not have medical conditions that would prohibit you from travelling to and working at high altitudes (above 4,000 m.a.s.l)
- Coordinate the activities of the Geotechnical Group staff, in conjunction with the Geotechnical Group manager. Substitute for the manager when he/she is out-of-office or on vacation
- Provide geotechnical input and leadership in sectors other than mining. Other sectors would include: energy (particularly hydroelectric); oil & gas; industrial / commercial; and transportation
- Other duties assigned by the Geotechnical Manager within the scope of their competence
Liaise with other technical specialists including hydrogeologists, hydrologists, geochemists, rock mechanics, environmental and other disciplines.
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree in geotechnical engineering is required; MSc. is highly desired; PhD. is desired
- Must have 10 to 15 years of progressive tailings, dams experience (ie. civil, geotechnical or related experience in the design of earth dams, largely from mining projects)
- Experience in the design and construction of tailings dams, and related mine-site earthworks infrastructure
- Project management experience is required, with ability to manage multiple mine tailings and/or tailings/dams construction related projects; PMP designation is highly desired
- Prior success in developing and growing geotechnical business
- Known entity in the mining industry, with solid network/contacts
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal and communication
- Demonstrated leadership ability, with solid management skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting
- Ability to travel, domestic & international travel required
- Must be bilingual, English and Spanish (both oral and written skills). Portuguese is desired
- Must be eligible to legally work in Peru
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.