Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
To support Wood's Environment and Infrastructure Services Group's growth, we are currently seeking to fill a Senior Geotechnical Engineer position for our Calgary office. As a Senior Geotechnical Engineer you will play a key role in the organization being responsible for the long-term development and management of clients and related business development activities.
The successful candidate will use his/her leadership and interpersonal skills to manage projects and lead multidisciplinary project teams.
You will use your technical skills to oversee technical quality and deliver high quality engineering services in geotechnical investigations, conceptual design, feasibility studies, detailed engineering design, specifications, drawings, reports and construction.You will mentor and participate in the development of the geotechnical group, and continue to develop positive working relationships with other Wood offices.
The Calgary geotechnical group currently offers a wide range of services, specifically tuned to the clients' needs. They currently provide geotechnical services to major clients in the Oil and Gas industry, Mining, all levels of Government and Industrial/Commercial sectors. This is an opportunity to work in a truly consultative environment, interfacing directly with and advising clients
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Assist in the ongoing development of our geotechnical team by providing direction and mentorship to the junior and intermediate staff;
- Be part of the leadership team working with management in the strategic planning and growth of the geotechnical unit;
- Lead the planning, field support and completion of geotechnical site investigations;
- Coordinate with other discipline leads to manage project deliverables, ensuring schedule and budget are achieved;
- Be a strong senior technical resource and lead where broad geotechnical experience and expertise would be utilized on a wide variety of challenging projects within several market sectors such as mining, energy, oil and gas, infrastructure and related to a number of geotechnical disciplines and skills such as dams and earth structures, foundations, slopes and pipelines;
- Maintain and develop client relations;
- Provide excellent customer service and a commitment to technical excellence;
- Participate in the preparation and presentation of training programs;
- When required, work collaboratively with other departments and Wood offices on project related work;
- Other duties as assigned;
Skills / Qualifications
- A Bachelor's degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering; a post graduate degree in Geotechnical Engineering would be an asset;
- Minimum of 15 to 20 years of relevant technical experience and demonstrated management of projects related to geotechnical investigations and design;
- Extensive oil sands experience, particularly related to tailings and dyke design would be an asset;
- Excellent Project Management skills with the ability to co-ordinate staff, track timelines, meet budgets and schedules;
- Demonstrated ability to develop excellent client relationships, a positive staff working environment and new business opportunities;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- A career spent in the geotechnical consulting industry is preferred;
- Registered (or eligible for registration) with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA);
- Ability to travel to sites as needed.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.