- Requisition ID: 231641
- Position Title: Environmental Scientist/Engineer
- Location: Reston, VA
- Relocation Authorized: National - Family
- Work Authorization: Possess right to work in the US without sponsorship
- Other Requirements: Pre-employment drug screen, background check
Bechtel, a 120-year-old company, has more than 55,400 colleagues; completed more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries and established presence in 7 continents. We are very proud to be named the Top U.S. Contractor by the Engineering News-Record for the 17th consecutive year. In the Nuclear, Security and Environmental global business unit, the demand for our expertise is growing as we deliver the entire project life cycle: from research and development through engineering, procurement, construction and operation to decontamination and decommissioning. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that make the world cleaner and safer.
We invite you to join our team for this very interesting opportunity! POSITION OVERVIEW:
Responsible for assisting in the integration of specialized environmental requirements into the planning, permitting, design, and construction of Bechtel projects. Has responsibility for interpreting specialized requirements, evaluating and applying specialized scientific principles, and formulating scopes of work, plans, and methodologies suitable for achieving the desired objectives. Provides technical assistance to other Environmental Services (ES) Scientists/Engineers. May be assigned as an assistant project environmental lead or environmental coordinator/inspector. JOB DIMENSIONS:
A. Supervision Received
- Receives technical and administrative supervision from the Manager of Environmental Services, Environmental Services Manager, Principal Environmental Scientist/Engineer, or supervisory Senior Environmental Scientist/Engineer. If assigned full-time on a project, receives supervision and work assignments from the Project Environmental Services Supervisor or Project ES&H Manager.
B. Supervision Exercised
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Provides technical support to feasibility studies, site assessment studies, permitting, and ES&H Policy 111 reviews. Provides specialized environmental input to Engineering, Construction, and Subcontracts, thus ensuring that environmental requirements are integrated into project planning, design criteria, construction plans and specifications and subcontracts. Participates in meetings with customers, project team members, and contractors/subcontractors to advise them of specialized environmental requirements that may affect project design, construction schedule, and cost. Responsible for origination/checking of environmental engineering calculations (e.g., dispersion, control room habitability), assigned sections of permitting/licensing documents (e.g., NRC Environmental Reports or safety analysis report sections) Responsible for drafting Environmental Compliance Plans, Construction Environmental Control Plans (CECP), project specific mitigation plans (e.g., wetlands mitigation, cultural resources protection plan), and technical reports. Conducts environmental compliance inspections of project construction activities to monitor compliance with environmental requirements including contractual commitments, permits, the project's CECP, and mitigation plans. May be assigned as an Assistant Project Environmental Lead or Environmental Coordinator/Inspector on a small project. JOB KNOWLEDGE:
- Maintains relationships with internal Bechtel organizations (e.g., Engineering, Construction, and Subcontracts), customer, and contractor/subcontractor representatives to coordinate technical/scientific issues and implementation of ES functions into project proposals, designs, and construction plans.
- Maintains contact, as appropriate, with government regulatory and resource agencies to obtain current information on new regulations, program initiatives, and technical requirements and standards.
- Maintains contact with other ES personnel (e.g., Project Environmental Lead) to keep them informed of changing requirements and to provide technical assistance.
- Maintains contact with professional colleagues and organizations in government, industry, and universities to keep abreast of advancements in the discipline field (e.g., wetlands mitigation, biological/ecological planning and mitigation, erosion and sediment control, air emissions monitoring, water quality, contaminated property remediation).
- Specialized knowledge in a field of science (e.g., meteorology, ecology, biology, forestry, wetlands, archeology), engineering (e.g., civil, environmental, mechanical) or related disciplines.
- Knowledge of NRC or DOE regulations.
- Knowledge of environmental management, monitoring and mitigation systems, principles, and methodologies.
- Knowledge of environmental laws and regulations and resource agencies' permitting processes and responsibilities.
- Knowledge of engineering, construction, and subcontract work processes.
- Bachelor of Science degree in a specialized scientific field (e.g., wetlands biology, meteorology, forestry, and archeology) or environmental/civil engineering and some practical work experience in the discipline performing the responsibilities listed above - OR - equivalent demonstrated experience.
- Some experience in environmental modeling software
- Skilled in oral and written communication and knowledge of computer applications.
- US citizenship
Salary Grade Determination
- Plans and coordinates work requiring independent judgment and experience in the application of standard, specialized scientific techniques and formulation of environmental dispersion calculations or environmental mitigation measures plans to reduce potential adverse environmental impacts.
- Prepares technical reports and reviews reports drafted by others.
- Possesses three (3) years of environmental related experience in addition to the Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering or science field from an accredited college or university; or nine (9) years of environmental related experience in lieu of a formal degree.
Shaping tomorrow together! Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right-no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries. An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
- Performs work that requires broad technical knowledge of scientific skills and protocols in a specialized field.
- Researches and/or prepares scientific documentation and reports.
- Possesses one (1) years of environmental related experience in addition to the Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering or science field from an accredited college or university; or seven (7) years of environmental related experience in lieu of a formal degree.
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.