Skills: IT - Analysis & Management
Experience: 5 + Years
Location: Menlo Park, California, United States
The Data Scientist is responsible for conducting undirected technology development and tackle open-ended data problems and questions. Drawing on an advanced degree in a quantitative field such as computer science, physics, statistics or applied mathematics, the Data Scientist demonstrates the knowledge to invent new algorithms to solve data problems.
The Data Scientist participates in the areas of data science, industrial analytics, data-driven prognostics, data mining, and machine learning. Data scientist researches and assesses next-generation technologies for data-driven modeling and optimization of complex systems and has advanced working knowledge and experience with machine learning algorithms and population-based meta-heuristic and gradient-based optimization methods.
He/She reports to Software Project Manager, Engineering Manager or Team Lead
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Research and develop data analytics and/or machine learning systems for business applications;
- Work with domain experts to understand needs and constraints;
- Work with software engineers to integrate ML solutions in business workflows;
- Communicate sophisticated ML concepts to management, clients, and the business community
- Research and assess next-generation technologies for inference, predictive modeling, general purpose data-driven modeling and optimization of complex systems. Demonstrate advanced working knowledge and experience with, data analytics, machine learning algorithms and optimization methods.
- Generate innovative ideas, establish new technology development directions, and shape and execute on technical projects.
- Maintain state-of-the-art knowledge and contribute to technical discussions and reviews as an expert in related areas of responsibility.
- Apply theoretical knowledge to solve industrial problems.
- Process large multivariate data sets collected from equipment operations, manufacturing tests and diagnostic routines.
- Communicate ideas, plans and results effectively via oral and written reports. Works effectively with peers, management, operations groups, and outside organizations
- May participate in the relevant technical reviews and audits of the projects
- May review, mentor and coach, while define and promote usage of standards, best practices and lessons learned
- Work across multiple cross-functional teams in high visibility roles to prototype end-to-end data solutions
Qualifications & Experience:
- MS / PhD in computer science, mathematics, applied statistics, physics, engineering or similar disciplines with demonstrated research capability with software experience or education
- Probability theory, decision theory, statistics, machine learning, reasoning and inference frameworks
- Software development skills and familiarity with database, programming, and data science development languages such as R, Python, TensorFlow and PyTorch
- Experience in a few of the following areas: deep neural networks, reinforcement learning, Markov Random Fields, Bayesian networks, semi-supervised learning, computer vision, image processing, signal processing, distributed computing, and/or numerical optimization
- Familiarity with ML frameworks such as Tensorflow, PyTorch. is a plus
- Minimum five years of related experience
- Experience with big-data technologies such as Hadoop/Spark or GCP-BigQuery is a plus
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work within a team of scientists and engineers and strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong data dexterity using current big data analytics tools
- Candidate must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship
- An enthusiasm for science and technology
- Analytical thinker
- Conscious of data quality
- Strong communication skills
- Function independently and in a team
- Provide creative and innovative solutions
Data Scientist will work at Schlumberger Software Technology Innovation Center (STIC) at Menlo Park, California. Schlumberger STIC is the newest facility of Schlumberger, located in the Silicon Valley, working in close collaboration with major players in the Valley network. The STIC offers its professionals a broad aspect of interaction opportunities within leading software industry partners, universities and the large network of Schlumberger Technology Centers around the world, that support Schlumberger activities in more than 85 countries.
STIC is part of the Schlumberger Software Technology organization, responsible for leading the Schlumberger digital technology initiatives. As the oil and gas industry's leading supplier of technology, integrated project management, and information solutions to customers worldwide, the Schlumberger digital technology development and management initiatives play a key role in driving of the oilfield service industry's digital technology transformation.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. Schlumberger is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
A tradition of excellence and innovation
We’re the world’s leading provider of integrated pore-to-pipeline technology solutions to the oil and gas industry. We’re also a leading employer in our sector—with a reputation for hiring the best and the brightest people and keeping them at the top of their game through rewarding career-long development opportunities.
Each day, in 85 countries, we help our customers find and produce oil and gas in ways that demonstrate respect for both people and the environment. Today’s industry challenges call for new ideas, techniques, and solutions. If you want to drive your career and want to grow with a company that’s embraced new ways of thinking since 1927, we may have the career for you.
Schlumberger is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's 2019 Ideal Employer Rankings.