Skills: Geologist, Waste Management
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Various, United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
Do you have a keen interest in hydrology and an enthusiasm for developing solutions to complex and challenging problems? Are you looking for the ideal launch pad for a rewarding and fulfilling career in environmental consultancy? If so, we are recruiting for a high-calibre Assistant Consultant hydrologist to join our Water Management team.
Wood's Water Management team works across a wide spectrum of services covering water resources and security, hydrology and hydraulics, water quality, hydroecology. geomorphology and hydrogeology. Through our projects we provide high quality technical services and advice to a wide range of high profile customers in the UK and overseas, including government departments and agencies, the water industry, and a wide range of other industrial sectors, including power, transport, nuclear, mining, commercial and oil and gas.
You will contribute to a diverse range of water-related projects, covering environmental impact assessment (EIA), flood risk assessment (FRA), Water Framework Directive compliance, water quality, and water resources planning. You will work for clients across a range of sectors, including water and power utilities, property, transport, and government, both in the UK and overseas. You are particularly likely to be involved in FRA and EIA to support major new infrastructure developments, or in resources planning and impact assessment projects for the water sector.
Your work will be varied and challenging and will include the following:
- Carrying out field surveys;
- Searching for and organising data and information;
- Data analysis and modelling;
- Contributing to technical reports and presentations; and
- Supporting the development of proposals for new projects.
We offer a dynamic, but supportive environment for a motivated and talented individual to fulfil their potential. Wood recognises that their people are central to its success as a business. As a consequence, we are committed to a providing a comprehensive framework for the professional development of its staff, including:
- Access to extensive internal and external training opportunities;
- An Early Careers Network;
- A mentoring programme; and
- Support for gaining chartership through professional institutions.
Fairness, support in development and a safe work environment - these are all of great importance to us. Where people look out for each other, are respected and are recognised. Where people work ethically and safely. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. We truly believe that diversity within our workplace promotes an incredible diversity of ideas. We are happy to consider applicants who are interested in the role on a part-time basis and support flexible working arrangements.
Skills / Qualifications
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a strong interest in hydrology and related areas, such as flood modelling, geomorphology or water quality. Specifically, we are looking for the following qualifications and experience:
- You will have a good degree-level qualification in a relevant subject, such as geography, geology, earth/environmental science or civil engineering;
- Post graduate experience is not essential, although a Masters degree in hydrology or a related discipline would be advantageous;
- You should have strong numerate and analytical skills, and be able to apply them to analysing problems and finding solutions to novel challenges;
- You will collaborate effectively as part of a team, but also exhibit initiative in working individually on discrete tasks;
- You will demonstrate excellent communication skills, including being able to write high quality, concise reports; and
- You should have practical experience in at least some of the following: use of MS Office tools (Excel, Access) in hydrological assessment; use of GIS packages such as ArcGIS; use of specialist hydrological, water quality or hydraulic modelling software, such as FEH, SIMCAT, FloodModeller Pro or Infoworks ICM.
- A full driving licence.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.