Skills: Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgist / Materials Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Birchwood, United Kingdom
At Jacobs, we're challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world's most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good.
With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of approximately 52,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.
Visit jacobs.com and connect with Jacobs on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed -today and into tomorrow.
Jacobs is a global leader in the delivery of projects, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets.
Jacobs is looking to recruit a Consultant with specialist materials science knowledge, including creep and fatigue behaviour of metals at high temperature. The successful candidate will join the High Temperature Materials team with duties including:
• Interacting with and advising materials testing technicians providing a variety of structural integrity testing programmes for customers who operate safety critical structures.
• Analysis and interpretation of test results, and production and verification of data and reports.
• Providing hands on mechanical testing in fatigue, creep or other methods where required.
• Coordinating delivery of structural integrity testing programmes.
• Supervision and guidance for less experienced staff in various aspects of materials testing.
• Contributing to projects involving material behaviour in environments such as liquid lead.
• Interfacing with customers to ensure that their needs are satisfied and identifying opportunities for future business.
The successful candidate will have good practical engineering understanding and experience of working in an engineering laboratory environment to strict quality assurance requirements and following appropriate codes and standards.
• Undertake a leading role for a variety of materials testing projects covering one of more of fatigue, creep, creep crack growth, fracture toughness testing and other bespoke testing activities.
• Writing and verifying reports and other deliverables.
• Mentoring and coaching technicians and technologists and ensuring good working practices are maintained.
• Analysing problems, discussing and developing solutions with colleagues and the customer.
• Liaising with external suppliers.
• Delivering work to time, cost and quality to meet customer expectations.
• Checking and verifying the work of colleagues.
• Developing relationships with customers, identifying business opportunities and driving the development and production of contract proposals and bids.
The successful candidate will have the following:
• A minimum of 5 years of experience of working in materials research or mechanical testing in the nuclear power generation or equivalent safety critical industry.
• In-depth, specialist knowledge and experience of successfully delivering mechanical testing results, in particular of one or more of Creep, Fatigue and Fracture toughness, to meet the needs of customers.
• Knowledge of materials behaviour in environments relevant to High Temperature nuclear reactors and related systems, including for Advanced Modular Reactors (for example liquid lead).
• A degree or equivalent in a relevant subject, e.g. Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Physics (PhD preferred).
• Chartered Engineer status or working towards this registration.
• Experience of building up relationships with clients.
• Experience of supervising and checking the work of colleagues against specified procedures.
• The ability to utilise practical skills and knowledge and to convert theoretical concepts into practical applications to assist in the resolution of technically complex problems.
• A willingness to spend a proportion of the time working on client sites (not expected to be significant).
• For the successful candidate, security clearance to work on defence-related projects will need to be acquired as part of the joining process.
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go 'BeyondZero' by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.