Skills: Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Gogama, Ontario, Canada
Wood is seeking a Senior Geotechnical/Civil Resident Engineer with expertise in quality assurance (QA) inspection and monitoring of the construction of tailings and water retention dam related projects. This is a long-term construction project with a rotational schedule to a Northern Ontario mine site. The successful candidate will have experience that specializes in QA inspection of foundation materials, engineered fills, HDPE liner and concrete during the construction of tailings storage facilities and water control dams.
- Lead Quality Assurance (QA) inspection team, liaison with construction EPCM team and client site personnel and the designated contractor to facilitate construction of tailings and water retaining structures.
- Attend meetings, make QA presentations/updates, plan QA inspection requirements for different portions of the project, and provide technical review of QA inspection reports.
- Monitor day-to day field construction activities and provide technical direction and support to multi-disciplinary Wood QA field staff.
- Implementation of health and safety, security protocols and supporting Wood's strong safety culture.
- Management of RFI requests from the contractor and client which includes the initial review of the RFI request for clarity, and the provision of a timely response to the RFI.
- Submission and management of field technical directives, site instructions, and non- conformance reports.
- Preparation of Site Geotechnical Engineering and Construction QA reports (daily & weekly) and workplans using Wood templates and quality standards.
- Review and sign off on all field reports and other forms that were provided by the contractor;
- Review of as-built information and provide final acceptance of the structures.
- Lead by example with active support of internal policies and practices, including risk management, project management, and quality management.
- Mentor and train junior & intermediate staff to grow their technical capabilities.
- Updating and managing QA staffing schedule.
Skills / Qualifications
- B.Sc. in Civil / Geotechnical Engineering.
- 10+ years of tailings and water retention dam construction experience, EPCM experience preferred.
- Licensed Professional Engineer.
- Previous experience with analytical and geotechnical applications.
- Understanding of ground control elements, their installation and QA/QC requirements.
- A clear and effective communicator and presenter, both verbally and written in English.
- An unwavering commitment to the highest health and safety, environmental and social performance standards.
- Extensive knowledge of construction standards and specifications.
- Software MS Office and geotechnical applications.
- Ability to work a rotational 2:2 assignment for up to 3 years.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.