Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Responsible for operating and maintaining vessel propulsion plant and related auxiliary machinery, cargo handling systems, deck machinery and hotel systems onboard "engineers"; may or may not actually have engineering degree, but addresses technical working of ship.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position through 12/21/2020 at 11:59 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time)
Engine cadets are expected to be proactive and seek out opportunities for growth and development aboard the vessel. The Engine Cadet will learn and perform the duties and responsibilities of an Engine Officer in a safe and professional manner and in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations. Cadets will gain fundamental awareness associated with safety issues related to working in a shipboard environment, watchkeeping duties and procedures, familiarization with repair and maintenance of various machinery, and elements of automation and electrical engineering under a licensed engineering officer to become eligible for a U.S Coast Guard license and position as Third Assistant Engineer. Engine Cadets will also become familiar with matters of administration and organization within the engine department and on the vessel as a whole.The Engine Cadet will stand an engineering watch under the supervision of a licensed Engine Officer to learn watch requirements and routines as well as participate in equipment overhauls and testing of equipment. The Engine Cadet will also perform maintenance as directed by the department head
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Participate in company programs such as Near Miss Reporting, Work Hazard Analysis, Operational Excellence Management System (OEMs), Chevron's Mariner Proficiency Management System (COMPASS), and any other onboard training and compliance programs.
- Proactively engage the officers and crew aboard to take part in any evolution which will benefit professional knowledge and development.
- Perform all engineering duties aboard ship under the supervision of a licensed engine officer.
- Gain a thorough knowledge of equipment maintenance, watchkeeping, tracing, and learning the various systems onboard (fuel, ballast, cargo, hydraulic, and pneumatic lines, pumps, cranes, winches, generators, purifiers, HVAC, refrigerant units, ODME, etc.).
- Familiarize and become proficient in the Isolation of Hazardous Energy program as well as the preventative maintenance program - Maximo.
- Learn to accurately maintain equipment history and account for spare parts.
- Stand an engine watch to learn watch requirements and as directed by the First Assistant Engineer.
- Perform maintenance as directed.
- Full-Time Student atCalifornia MaritimeAcademy
- Eligible for USCG Issued License Upon Graduation
- Valid Merchant Mariner Credential with Cadet Endorsement upon commencement of the assignment.
- VPDSD Training (Vessel Personnel with Designated Security Duties).
- Basic Safety Training.
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).
- Valid US Passport.
- Valid STCW Medical certificate.
- Extra-curricular Activities (i.e. Sports, Student Government, Membership in Technical Society, etc.).
Relocationwill not beconsidered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignmentswill not beconsidered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breast-feeding and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, age, mental or physical disability (including medical condition), military or veteran status, political preference, marital status, citizenship, genetic information or other status protected by law or regulation.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.