Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training, HSE Auditing, HSE Manager / Advisor
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Various Canada, Canada
Wood currently has an opportunity for a Project HSSE Lead. Reporting to the VP HSSE Mining & Minerals. This position will be filled upon project wins across multiple regions within Canada. This role has overall responsibility to provide positive leadership on HSSE issues and necessary guidance and support to ensure efficient Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE) management on the project in line with the customer HSSE expectations. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Maintain the effectiveness and continued development of the HSSE management system and provide direction and support to its application on the project
- Provide leadership and direction to project HSSE team
- Provide expert advice and support to project management in matters related to HSSE
- Provide assistance and guidance to project and construction management teams regarding staffing, planning, and execution strategies for HSSE activities on the project
- Implement an assurance strategy to monitor compliance against the project HSSE Execution Plan and HSSE procedures
- With input from all relevant parties, prepare and maintain the project HSSE Execution Plan, reflecting the scope of work and risk profile
- Assist and advise the Project Manager and Construction Manager in meeting the project HSSE objectives
- Be aware of all current occupational HSE legislation, codes of practices, and HSSE procedures to be operated within project scope of work
- Establish a working relationship with the Client and Contractor HSSE Representative, and enlist services and facilities when required
- Ensure an adequate interface with relevant stakeholders (such as contractors, Client, regulatory authorities, local communities) in matters related to HSSE
- Ensure that all statutory reports are compiled and forwarded to the appropriate departments where relevant
- Examine HSSE trends and propose actions to prevent recurrence of incidents, accidents, and near-misses
- Advise project management on current and future legislation affecting work done under the contract
- Highlight HSSE issue and make recommendations (based on reports, audits, and incident analysis) to be implemented to enhance HSSE performance
- Ensure maintenance of the site HSSE Orientation Program
- Provide HSSE support, guidance and leadership to contractor management, supervision and craft
- Participate and if required facilitate in Root Cause Analysis of major incidents;
- Interface with all project stakeholders to facilitate open and accurate HSSE communication
Skills / Qualifications
- Nationally recognized Health and Safety certification and/or Degree in Occupational Safety & Health or related field
- 15 years' experience in a leading HSSE position, with at least 5 of those years in a Managers role.
- Extensive experience in mining industry involving heavy construction projects.
- Formal education and training in Occupational Health, Safety, Environment and Risk Management
- Sound knowledge and experience in emergency response, occupational health, incident investigation, risk management, and behavioral based safety
- Extensive experience in the overseeing and monitoring implementation of HSSE Management System and HSSE Plans by contractors and subcontractors on site to ensure effective control of risks
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Proven leadership and management skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills with fluency in English
- Working knowledge of MSHA Regulations
- Authorization to work lawfully in Canada without sponsorship from Wood is required
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.