Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for an Assistant Modelling Consultant to join our multi-disciplinary project engineering team in Newcastle.
This is a great opportunity for a graduate to join our urban wastewater modelling team who, whilst based in our Newcastle office, will assist with the delivery of challenging urban modelling projects for our Clients within the water industry and other contracting organisations throughout the UK and beyond.
Working as a member of the team, initially under the supervision of a lead modeller, you will contribute to the project input at all stages of projects. This may include identification of asset surveys, construction and verification of wastewater models using various modelling packages, development of options and for feasibility, conceptual & detailed studies, associated hydraulic calculations, production of drawings using Mapinfo / ArcGIS, and the production of well written technical reports. You will need to communicate effectively and to co-ordinate your work with the rest of the design team.
You will have an inherent interest to keep abreast of new technologies in the field of urban hydrology, integrated catchment modelling and climate change, experience in InfoWorks ICM would be an advantage but not essential.
Based in our Newcastle office, you will be responsible for providing technical output and support at a local and national level to a wide range of clients, both internal and external, serving Water Companies, Developers, Government bodies and Industry.
You will be supported in your technical and professional development by senior staff and our active early careers group.
If you have the right qualifications and skills, and are keen to work within an enthusiastic team delivering quality projects, we will be pleased to hear from you.
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
- Knowledge/Experience in the use of MapInfo / ArcGIS
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- A willingness to travel and work for limited periods elsewhere within the UK
- Related modelling work experience is an advantage
- Related knowledge of InfoWorks ICM/ MicroDrainage or other modelling packages are an advantage
- Programming skills using Python would be an advantage
- Be able to communicate effectively with others on technical issues
- Execution of assigned tasks with direct guidance and supervision
- Produce good technical documents
- Comfortable working in changing environment
- Team player with good interpersonal skills
- Diligent and dependable in the consistent application of an established process
- Enthusiastic, conscientious and keen to learn
- Flexible with a 'can-do' attitude
- Clearly communicating any identified improvements to task execution to Lead Engineer
- Knowledge of computer programming
- Possession of a valid UK driving licence and a vehicle
- BSC / BEng Civil Engineering
- MSc in Engineering Hydrology or similar
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.