Skills: Geoscience Technician, Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently seeking an Intermediate Geotechnical Technician to join our Environment & Infrastructure team on a full-time basis located at our Cambridge or Burlington, ON Office.
- Coordinate geotechnical drilling programs including drilling rigs, traffic control, service locates;
- Undertake site reconnaissance such as test hole layouts, and noting observations of overhead utilities, drill rig / excavator access limitations, meeting with utility locate personnel, etc;
- Collect and handle samples, and/or complete required testing while supervising drilling operations for soil and rock explorations;
- Preparation and collection of detailed field notes, borehole and test pit logs;
- Preparation and use of the appropriate equipment for the required tasks for the manner intended (e.g. Standard Penetration Test, Field Vane, Shelby Tubes, etc.);
- File and manage all project related field notes including data entry and assistance with report preparation;
- Participate in the preparation of site-specific health and safety plans to mitigate or eliminate risks;
- Work with and support other Wood employees in the field or office;
- Where necessary able to work independently, connecting with senior personnel as required for clarity and direction.
Skills / Qualifications
- College Diploma in a related discipline; civil, construction, geotechnical, environmental;
- Three + years experience, supervising geotechnical / environmental drilling rigs is required. Preference will be given if candidate has previous experience related to coordinating and managing field investigation programs related to rail and transit projects, installation of monitoring equipment, etc.;
- Experience with obtaining necessary permits and approvals from multiple municipal, provincial and federal agencies for the execution of field investigation programs;
- Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) or eligible / planning to obtain C.E.T. designation;
- Strong people skills and a desire and ability to work in the field within a team environment;
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written);
- Must own a vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage and hold a valid driver's license;
- Being available for extended period away from home location due to field assignments; and
- Demonstrating strong safety principles.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.