Skills: Structural Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Civil & Structural Engineer on a contract basis for our Mining & Minerals office in Bryanston.
- Responsible for the civil and structural engineering detail design on mining and minerals processing plant projects / studies, including professional sign off.
- Coordinate and supervise design functions within projects /studies.
- Undertake technical reviews / audits to ensure that designs are in accordance with project / study requirements and company objectives and are produced in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Provide coaching and guidance to less experienced staff, engineers and designers to increase technical competence, as well as knowledge of systems and procedures.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the company Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
- Accountable that the quality and content of deliverables of the structural design discipline are in line with the needs of the client and regulatory authorities and responsible for engineering content, discipline design drawings and technical documents within a project / study.
- Responsible for preparation and / or review of engineering deliverables including technical specifications, contract specifications, design criteria, calculations, reports, evaluations and other documents required by the project / study.
- Input to capital estimates including quantity calculations. Set and review man-hour budgets for engineering and drafting, recommend engagement of additional manning as required.
- Monitor the progress and performance of project discipline teams. Provide feedback and support where necessary.
- Oversee and manage design scope changes.
- Provide feedback to the project engineering manager on design progress, budget and schedule.
- Provide technical and commercial direction to engineers in relation to design quality, design schedules and design budgets.
- Prepare and review feasibility studies documentation and estimates.
- Assist engineering management to assess the suitability of staff and identify the key resources for specific projects / studies.
- Ensure designs produced are cost effective and optimal in terms of constructability, maintainability, serviceability, and safe operation.
- Ensure design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on all projects.
- Review tenders and produce technical adjudications / recommendations.
- Review Contractor documentation for compliance with project specifications.
- Analyze feedback from fabricators and construction personnel to improve performance.
- Oversee and conduct site inspections.
- Provide technical support during construction.
- Conduct regular design group meetings within a project / study context.
- Provide timely reports regarding all discussions held and progress made. Ensure all project correspondence is recorded.
- Allocate work and provide technical assistance to discipline engineers and designers.
- Input into progress reports, including listing achievements and highlighting issues as required.
- Work closely with consultants, other disciplines and Project/Study Managers to ensure that client's objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Drive professional development of direct reports and other less experienced staff members.
Skills / Qualifications
- Eng. - Civil engineering
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with ECSA
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 10 to 15 years civil and structural design experience in the mining and minerals industry, preferably worked within an EPC/EPCM engineering environment.
- Dynamic analysis and design experience.
- Site experience: construction and commissioning.
- Technical Competence - in terms of core engineering theory from first principles and ability to extend theory to new and complex problems.
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of word, databases spreadsheets and discipline related application software.
- Strong analytical, literacy and numerical skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven effective leadership skills and ability to work within a multidisciplinary team.
- Understanding of South African and common International standards and regulatory authority requirements in the mining and minerals processing sector.
- Good commercial awareness/risk management skills.
- A pro-active attitude.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- A common-sense approach to everyday life.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own work flow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence and resilience and patience in a sometimes-challenging environment.
- An appreciation of the value of team work and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.