Skills: Construction Manager
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is looking for a Senior Construction Manager to join our Burlington, ON team to manage our transportation construction projects throughout Ontario. The Construction Manager has full responsibility for pre-construction as well as construction tasks including construction safety, scheduling, staffing and closeout of assigned projects. Responsible for budget monitoring, planning, implementation and scheduling of the projects. Experience with transportation projects is essential.
Key Responsibilities :
- Establish a safety-first culture for all construction projects
- Manage, train, mentor and coordinate a team of Construction Inspectors and Contract Administrators including assigning roles, providing guidance and direction as needed to the on-site staff and preparing forecasts
- Perform regular performance evaluations for a team of Construction Inspectors and Contract Administrators
- Manage the execution of design-build P3 projects to ensure constructability and efficient designs
- Prepare and review specifications and other construction documents for constructability, site access and recommend changes to maximize the ultimate success of the project
- Resolve unforeseen site conditions, unplanned interferences, contract discrepancies and other construction conflict problems and disputes between contractors, site staff, inspectors and the client
- Administer the change order and allowance process, review requests for schedule or cost adjustment and negotiate changes to the contract and prepare change order documents for approval
- Respond to questions and concerns as well as ensure that all complaints from the client and the stakeholders are handled promptly and properly
- Manage the project close out phase including certificate of substantial completion, punchlist and receipt of as-builts, warrantees and manuals
- Provide continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline processes and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality / seamless client service
- Ability to clearly communicate, in writing and verbally, with project team members and company management about relevant construction systems and processes.
- Maintain knowledge of contracts, drawings, estimates, and specifications to ensure relation and compliance to construction/project requirements.
- Provide support to coordinate, direct and monitor activities of contractors/subcontractors, engineers, architects, and related performing entities.
- Ability to work efficiently with the Project Manager, design professionals, and developer management to achieve the best possible field results
- Embrace, implement and promote standards of safety consistent with Wood's corporate safety policy
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree in construction management, engineering or related field. P. Eng.
- Minimum 15 years' experience in construction at within the transportation industry including roads, rail, bridges, structures and utilities.
- Must be comfortable in both professional office and field work environments
- Proficient in MS Word / Excel / Outlook and project scheduling tools
- Possess an extensive understanding of construction standards and practices
- Skill in construction document handling and administration
- Skill in organizing and managing cost estimating, bidding and scheduling procedures
- Skill in documenting and assessing field conditions, RFI's and change orders
- Ability to track and manage job costs
- Able to solve complex problems associated with the management of costs and schedules
- Able to manage sub-contractors and manpower and delegate tasks to complete goals, objectives and schedules
- Skilled in client relations and customer service
- Basic understanding of fundamental cost accounting practices
- Excellent listening, communication and organizational skills
- Experience directing technical field staff including inspectors
- Experience in resolving claims disputes
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Valid driver's license required; this position requires use of personal vehicle in good working order
- Flexibility to travel to construction sites for extended periods and work outside of normal business hours
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.