Skills: Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineer
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is a leader in modern tailings disposal system development, design and construction offering innovative tailings management technologies and customized solutions to meet project-specific requirements. Through our team of multi-discipline professionals, we design tailings solutions that are properly integrated with mining and processing facilities, allowing clients safe, reliable and cost-effective operations.
We have a challenging and rewarding opportunity for a Principal Tailings Engineer to be a lead, expand and develop our tailings management group while still staying heavily involved in the technical work that has kept your interest all these years.
As a respected technical leader in the global mine waste management sector, you are someone who is ready to take your exceptional combination of technical and business experience and bring it a company that will provide you the autonomy, support and opportunity to succeed and achieve your full potential.
- Play a key technical and project director role, often in multi-disciplinary teams, for planning, feasibility studies and detailed design
- Lead project teams for dam and geotechnical design including earth and concrete dam foundations, embankment dam stability, hydraulic analysis, water balance, deposition planning, groundwater analysis
- Lead engineering teams in completing dam safety inspections and risk assessments to satisfy dam safety requirements
- Scoping and delivery of geotechnical investigations to support tailings project
- Developing high level and detailed designs for tailings storage facilities
- Prepare reports and documentation, including design reports, interpretive geotechnical and laboratory reports, construction progress reports, audit and inspection reporting
- Prepare proposals and planning geotechnical investigations
- As a true "Seller-Doer", contribute to client relationship development, both nationally and internationally using internal and external networks
- Develop a strong client base and build the team
- Provide career direction, mentorship and oversight to junior/intermediate team members
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor of Civil or Geotechnical Engineering from an accredited university. Masters or PhD preferred
- 20 or more years of experience working on tailings projects specifically in design and construction of tailings facilities.
- Knowledge of tailings management options would be a definite asset
- Registration or eligibility for immediate registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia (EGBC)
- 5 or more years of experience as responsible technical charge on design and construction of tailings storage facilities and waste dumps, directing team efforts
- Experience in presenting and defending work products to Regulatory Agencies and External Review Boards.
- Excellent English communication skills (verbal and written) as it related to technical and commercial documentation in engineering. Proficiency in other languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese) would be an asset
- Demonstrated history of successful business development and an existing client network;
- Strong commercial acumen and ability to lead and grow a team for one of the world's leading mining consultancy companies.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.