Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions, Inc., is seeking an Environmental Geologist with 3-10 years consulting experience to join our Pacific Northwest Remediation Team in our Portland, Oregon or Puget Sound area offices. Wood's Pacific Northwest Remediation Team offers environmental remediation and related services to a diverse set of clients, including industrial/commercial companies, local and state agencies, and the federal government. Project locations are local, regional, and nationwide. We have in-house experts in chemistry, risk assessment, data management, graphics/GIS, engineering, and industrial hygiene who support projects in the Pacific Northwest and many other locations, and have access to subject matter experts worldwide.
The position requires a self-motivated candidate able to work as part of local, regional, or national project teams. This person will support senior geologists and other experienced project staff to solve problems and document solutions, express ideas through strong technical writing and verbal communication, and support technical reports, plans, and calculations in a consulting environment. The position will include work on a variety of multi-disciplinary projects, with substantial emphasis on soil, soil vapor/gas, groundwater, surface water, and stormwater investigations and remediation systems; chemical fate and transport assessment; hazardous waste management; permitting; and site planning. This person will be a member or leader of teams providing environmental consulting services to commercial and government clients and will perform complex technical tasks under oversight of more experienced technical reviewers/directors.
Key Responsibilities include (depending on level of experience):
• Follow company and project-specific safety, quality, and business conduct standards
• Perform and/or manage field investigation, inspection, analysis (e.g., Phase I/Phase II Environmental Site Assessment, hazardous material assessment, soil and rock logging, well installation) with appropriate equipment and instrumentation
• Develop work plans, quality assurance documents, safety plans, and other planning documents
• Prepare or direct preparation of technical reports, including text, maps, charts, figures, and tables.
• Manage, evaluate, and interpret chemical, geologic, hydrogeologic, biological, and other environmental data, and perform calculations
• Apply federal, state, and local environmental regulations
• Contact vendors; research literature; seek solutions to regulatory requirements
• Perform field oversight of Wood or subcontractor personnel
• Interact with specialists in other technical practice areas in support of projects
• Other activities as required, and based on abilities and interest
• Develop internal and external clients toward generating sales for regional offices
• Mentor junior staff and aid their development
Skills / Qualifications
Team player with strong problem-solving skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, good organizational skills, a willingness to learn, the ability to self-manage multiple tasks and priorities, and the willingness to proactively seek help from more senior staff as needed.
• Bachelor's degree or higher in geology, hydrogeology, or geoscience
• 3 to 10 years of professional environmental consulting experience
• Professional registration as a geologist in one or more northwestern states (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Alaska) or other applicable registration is preferred
• If not currently registered, candidate should have a GIT in one of the above States, with intent to obtain registration.
• Familiarity/working experience in the Pacific Northwest is preferred
• OSHA HAZWOPER 40-hour certification
• Experience writing plan documents and technical reports
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office software products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint; experience with Project is a plus)
• Ability to work in industrial and field environments as well as the office
• Able to work as part of a team as well as independently, under appropriate supervision
• Flexibility to work outside normal business hours as required
• Willingness to travel and accept occasional short or long-term assignments outside of the Pacific Northwest is a plus; when traveling, ability to properly maintain project field documentation and communicate in field with Project Manager is required
• Valid driver's license and current automobile insurance or ability to qualify for automobile insurance coverage is preferred
• Ability to perform work in personal protective equipment and air purifying respirator, if required
• Ability to pass a physical exam for medical clearance to work on hazardous waste sites
• Must pass drug test, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.