Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Staines, United Kingdom
Wood Intelligent Operations (Automation and Control) is actively seeking qualified candidates to help develop and architect custom engineering software and workflow automation applications serving the Oil and Gas industry. This role will be based in the Staines office.
The Intelligent Operations group in the Automation and Control division of Wood Group owns multiple software some of them are listed below
- Virtuoso© - It is used for offline engineering and design, operator training, and real-time production monitoring and optimization of production facilities and operations. The software, broadly known as Virtuoso, offers a variety of functionalities that assist clients in operating or designing complex production facilities. Our team focuses on addressing the most complex multiphase and single-phase production, transportation and processing issues. Candidates for this position will be responsible for playing a major role in the development and deployment of the Virtuoso product and be expected to participate on all phases of typical project development which is from the initial design phase through installation and deployment. Participation would be expected in the development of various aspects of the Virtuoso software, writing and reviewing design specifications, participating or leading acceptance testing with clients, assisting in the installation packaging and deployment at customer sites, and administering end user training.
- VP Link/Cape Software© - Wood's VP Link™ simulator provides a dynamic representation of a chemical process that can be hooked up to an offline copy of the control system. VP Link reads the control system outputs and calculates the virtual process state by using hybrid process modelling. When VP Link is connected to a distributed control system (DCS), safety instrumented system (SIS), or programmable logic controller (PLC), the system's logic will react to signals from the virtual process as though it is interacting with a live one. Candidates for this position will be working with our team in Houston to further enhance the features for VP link and provide the workflow to streamline the process for performing logic testing and developing Operator Training Simulator. The role will also require developing the VR models for training using Unity by utilizing the 3D models available for the assets.
- Other Tools - Wood has multiple other software solutions in its portfolio such as ProRPM, Prodyn, ProSch, Maestro and many other internal tools which will require upgrade, feature enhancements and maintenance. Candidates for this position is also expected to provide support for these products.
The successful employee is one who is not afraid to learn by asking questions, communicates well, works well in a team, thrives on daily challenges, demonstrates strong problem-solving skills, both independently and as part of a team, strives for excellence, seeks to be rewarded for outstanding efforts and wants to see the impact of their efforts on the company's success and growth; this person wants to help build a great global company. Our employees are proactive, hands on, multitasking, self-motivated team players. They have a sense of urgency, they are open-minded, and they are willing to do what it takes to get the job done. Creativity is expected and encouraged. The employee is also expected to help in interviewing graduate/software developers.
Skills / Qualifications
Required Qualifications - To be considered for the role of a Senior Software Developer applicant must have:
- A Bachelor's or Masters' degree in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent technical discipline with an engineering background
- Broad experience with designing and developing applications using the Microsoft .NET development platform
- Excellent understanding of Object Oriented Programming and design patterns
- Experience with design and development of User Interfaces (UI)
- Ability to work independently and collaborate across functional groups as required
- Knowledge of distributed applications frameworks such as DCOM, .NET Remoting, IIS, Web API (REST), and WCF
- Basic knowledge of network configuration including routing, DNS, and firewalls
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively across multiple disciplines
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and debugging skills
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally up to 20% of the time
- Strong engineering knowledge and background with an emphasis on Oil and Gas concepts.
- More than 10 years of the software development experience.
Preferred Qualifications - In addition to the required qualifications the following qualifications would be considered a strength:
- 10+ years programming experience in C#
- 10+ years programming experience in WPF
- Experience in .NET Core
- Experience in modelling or simulation software
- Experience with container technology such as Docker
- Strong User Interface design and development skills
- Knowledge of software security best practices
- Knowledge of MS SQL Server or equivalent database technology
- Knowledge of control and automation engineering
- Knowledge of OPC and instrumentation
- Experience using software deployment technologies such as Azure DevOps, Click Once, InstallShield
- Project management experience
- Understanding of Oil and Gas Industry
- Experience with most of the following technologies: .NET Framework 2.0, 3.5, 4.0 or 4.5, Web API, WCF, Web Services, SQL 2008, Ado/Ado.NET, TSQL, WPF/XAML, IIS 6.0 / 7.0
- Experience of working with Unity to convert 3D models to VR/AR
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.