Skills: Environmental Engineer, Waste Management
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Wood is seeking a Civil and Water Resources Engineer with experience in water resources and civil design to support our Carolinas' Water Resources Engineering Team. The ideal candidate will be an energetic, self-motivated professional with experience in engineering design as well as drawing preparation and assembly in the AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or MicroStation platforms.
The candidate will work with and be mentored by our water resources and civil design professionals while supporting projects across the Carolinas and Southeast. Engineering efforts will include preparing design calculations, developing computer models (WaterCAD, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, HEC-Geo-RAS, Storm CAD, SWMM, and FLO-2D), quantity take offs, cost estimates, plan and specifications, report preparation and writing. Additionally, candidate will work closely in a multi-disciplinary team environment to develop Section 404/401 and NPDES permit application.
Familiarity with State and local drainage standards, policies and procedures, and a good working knowledge of Federal Emergency Management Act (FEMA), USACE and SCDHEC Guidelines and Specifications is a plus.
- Independently perform hydrologic and hydraulic modeling of riverine systems
- Support stream restoration and other water resources design projects
- Perform field investigations and GIS data processing to obtain data necessary for hydrologic and hydraulic modeling
- Prepare floodplain and watershed studies and watershed/stormwater master planning
- Prepare project reports
- Work with a team of water resources engineers and GIS specialists
- Direct and mentor technicians and junior level staff as necessary
- Some travel/field work required
- Support Gas & Electric Transmission Line Section 404/401 and NPDES Permit submittals
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree in Civil or Water Resources Engineering
- Engineer in Training required, Professional Engineering certification preferred or anticipated (within 2 years of date of hire)
- 3-6 years experience in civil / water / drainage / design
- Must have the capacity to work independently with minimal supervision and oversight
- Must work well in a team environment, with abilities to multi-task and handle various assignments at once
- Possess good analytical, verbal, and written communication skills
- Experience preparing construction drawings using AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or MicroStation
- Knowledge of riverine hydrology and hydraulics; some experience with HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, TR-20, and SWMM models
- Proficient in AutoCAD and/or MicroStation
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience using ArcGIS is a plus
- Knowledge of and experience with FEMA floodplain regulations is a plus
- Certified Floodplain Manager is a plus
- Programming experience is a plus
- Knowledge of Natural Channel Designs principles
- Knowledge of Section 404/401 Permitting
- Knowledge of SCDHEC NPDES Permitting
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.