Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure is seeking an experienced Senior Level Mechanical Engineer to join our dynamic team in Kennesaw, GA. The ideal candidate will have a background in HVAC, piping, and plumbing design as well as energy efficiency, have leadership experience, good communication skills and ability to work with a group of experienced professionals. The candidate will be responsible for executing mechanical designs for new facility construction and renovation, upgrades, and recommissioning of existing facilities, independently or as a member of a design team. The role will also include the development of drawings, specifications, and CADD work. The successful candidate should have a minimum of 8+ years' experience with knowledge in mechanical HVAC, controls, pumps, piping, and plumbing systems.
Are you a Mechanical Engineer who enjoys the technical aspects of projects, project management and energy efficient design and commissioning work? Do local, national, and international projects appeal to you? We have an excellent career opportunity in our international organization. We are looking for an individual with technical and project leadership capabilities. In this position you will provide solutions for your clients and lead technical initiatives.
Skills / Qualifications
- The engineer in this position will be responsible for the execution of projects and submittal of final deliverables or construction documents.
- Performing field investigation, inspections, analysis, develop design concepts and prepare mechanical design drawings
- Design of facility HVAC and plumbing systems
- Preparation of construction drawings and specifications
- Energy modeling to determine facility heating and cooling load calculation and programs (Trane TRACE of Carrier HAP)
- Contacting vendors; researching codes, standards, and regulatory requirements
- Conducting routine engineering and scientific calculations
- Preparation and evaluation of engineering data
- Preparing mechanical/process piping design drawings (PFDs, P&IDs), isometrics). Coordinating project assignments with those of other engineers and designers
- Reviewing existing drawings supplied by vendors, clients, and engineers and field verifies to check for accuracy and completeness and recommends necessary changes
- Researching design options, documenting findings, and presenting options to Project Team
- Assisting with other duties assigned by Project Engineers and/or Project Managers
- Attending "kick-off" and design review meetings and interacting with client on a daily basis
- Communicating, both verbally and in written form, in a professional manner with engineers, construction managers, equipment suppliers, contractors, and client representatives
- Work on technical assignments (both field and office) and support HVAC design and energy related projects.
- Field assignments are local, national, and international depending on technical capabilities and desire to travel. Overnight travel is estimated to be a minimum of 25% and up to 50% at times depending on the project.
- Generates workload plans, design analyses, and construction documents
- Typical team assignments will include HVAC retrofit projects, interfacing with clients and contractors, project cost estimation, energy auditing of large HVAC systems and controls, identification of energy conservation measures, boiler and chiller plant upgrades, DDC systems and building stimulation energy modeling.
- The individual will work with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, and designers on building design projects with an emphasis on engineering design and plan production. Projects include building design for restoration, renovations, and new construction.
- Develop schematics, plan drawings, elevation views, section views, and installation details.
- Convey results and findings by means of oral discussions, graphic-based presentations, and project documentation.
- Creation of complex layouts and CAD drawings from general sketches, markups, or written notes from project team members.
- Create exhibits and documents for presentations and reports.
- Work with the project team to investigate and resolve problems with existing designs and implement drawing revisions as requested by senior staff.
- Create and update design database including CAD standards and details for utilization on future projects.
- Adhere to discipline-specific policies and design standards.
- Design requirements will include creating engineering standards, details, drawing templates, sheet sets, drawings, and designs.
- Executes facility designs in accordance with applicable codes and standards.
- Generates workload plans, design analyses, and drawing plans
- Supports proposal generation and business development, creating technical scopes of work and man-hour estimates.
- Execute mechanical, HVAC, Piping, and Plumbing system drawing development. General electrical knowledge is a plus.
- Strong commitment to company's Beyond Zero safety program; follow company safety standards, site safety standards, and maintain safe workplace practices.
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- 8+ years of related experience
- Professional engineering (PE - Mechanical) license is a plus
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Familiarity with Local Government permitting codes related to utilities, HVAC, fire protection, and plumbing. Strong understanding of building and NFPA codes, and ASHRAE standards.
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Ability to develop Bill of Materials.
- Proven ability to read, understand, and develop design drawings.
- Must have HVAC, facility piping and plumbing system design/drafting experience. General electrical knowledge is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will have some experience with pumping systems, process piping, or wastewater applications.
- Ability to develop process flow diagrams (PFDs) and Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Must understand pipe and duct routing principles, space coordination requirements.
- Able to conduct field verification of designs prior to, during, and after construction.
- Coordinate with multiple engineering disciplines, equipment vendors, and installation contractors.
- Able to help select system equipment and components when needed.
- Review drawings supplied by vendors (shop drawings, submittals, etc.).
- Proven ability to manage and execute multiple project activities.
- Proven experience in plan production and design for building design projects.
- Ability to be flexible in daily duties and level of responsibility encompassing redlining as well as leading plan production efforts.
- Strong organizational abilities.
- Demonstrated consistency and attention to detail.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours, if required.
- Ability and willingness travel with the team to project sites in the US and internationally; minimum 25% overnight travel, and up to 50% depending on specific projects.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Must pass drug test, background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy.
- Experience with building simulation modeling (preferably using Trane Trace or System Analyzer).
- Background in design of HVAC systems and knowledge of HVAC systems to include but not limited to HVAC load calculations, equipment sizing and creation of construction drawings.
- Must be computer proficient with working knowledge of MS Excel and Word (AutoCAD proficiency preferred not required).
- Must have experience with REVIT and AutoCAD.
- Construction or mechanical contractor background desirable.
- Pertinent engineering design production or engineering consulting experience.
- AUTOCAD and REVIT experience developing drawings for electrical/mechanical systems.
- Expertise through past experience in developing construction plans, specifications, cost estimates and schedules.
- Industrial/Manufacturing experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of advanced principles and techniques of engineering and knowledge of competing and alternative design techniques. Identifies work improvement opportunities.
- Combination of several of the following:
- 3D Solid Modeling
- Strong AutoCAD
- AutoCAD MEP or REVIT
- Technical writing and development of Scope of Work (SOW) and Basis of Design (BOD) documents
- Specification writing skills
- Equipment commissioning document preparation.
- Field verification of existing equipment, piping, and structures
- Equipment layout and elevation drawing development, including identification of equipment and/or structures to be removed, modified, or relocated
- Preparation of detailed fabrication and assembly drawings, including specification of materials, bill of materials, and other drawing notes
- Formal reviews of conceptual, in progress and final designs with client/team members
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft office suite
- Adaptability, Communications, Initiative, Planning & Organization, Problem Solving, Teamwork, Technical/Professional Knowledge
- Experience with process piping systems and P&ID's
- Experience with steam boiler systems
- Experience with compressed air systems
- Experience with Chilled water systems
- Experience with Building Automation Systems (BAS)
- Experience with SCADA
- Experience with DDC
- Experience with PLC controls
- Able to do physically demanding field work such as climbing ladders, and carrying back packs with notes and data collecting equipment, etc.
- Must be able to travel without limitations and perform unimpeded standing and walking in industrial and field environments for up to 12 hours per workday.
- Must be physically capable of performing work in H&S personal protective equipment.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.