Skills: IT - Analysis & Management
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Staines-upon-Thames, England, United Kingdom
Wood's Intelligent operations team, Automation and Control is looking for an innovative and solutions-oriented Data Engineer with background fluid mechanics and thermodynamics (chemical or mechanical engineer). The candidate should demonstrate an ability to perform the regular tasks required of a data scientist: the ability to process and analyse a diverse dataset in order to draw out important insights and build machine learning models to solve typical problems encountered in the chemical industry.
You will find a challenging and rewarding work environment with unlimited growth potential! This is a great opportunity for recent college grads and those looking to make a change in their careers with advancement opportunities. The candidate will work with Data Officers to provide the solutions to optimise design, increase production, improve safety and enhance the cost-efficiency of production, inspection and maintenance operations. The candidate should also be capable of working effectively in a team and have the ability to articulate and communicate their insights to a non-technical audience.
Our goal is to combine Wood's domain knowledge and data access with advanced analytics to transform how we execute and operate projects, bringing truly differentiated services & software to the international energy industry.
This is an exciting and challenging new role, offering the opportunity to be part of a leading global organisation growing its new commercial service offering. You will play a key part in developing organisational capability and defining the direction for this new team. As an established champion of analytics this is a significant opportunity to develop your career and thrive in a problem solving, solutions-focused environment, building new models and helping our global customers realise significant efficiency and value improvements.
- Work with large amounts of unstructured and structured data, and transform it into a more understandable format
- Identify trends and patterns in data that may improve a business's profitability
- Build fit-for-purpose predictive models and implement machine learning techniques to support existing and new customer products and services
- Optimise joint development efforts through appropriate database use and project design
- Identify opportunities for innovation within projects and organizations where advanced analytics could dramatically improve operations. Pro-actively drive this innovation to realization and implementation
- Partner with multiple cross-functional teams across Wood Group's international engineering operations to deliver data analytics solutions
- Mentor, guide and develop our data analytics team in UK
- Participate in an Agile/Scrum methodology
Skills / Qualifications
- Preference and passion for open source technologies over enterprise tools
- Deep analytical skills and knowledge of statistical methodologies, data / text mining techniques, algorithm development, machine learning craft and operations research techniques
- Capable of clearly communicating complex analysis methodologies and results to a non-technical audience within both internal and external customer bases
- Strong teaching and coaching skillset
- Fluency in SQL for data access, manipulation, and validation
- Strong DAD (discover/access/distil) skillset
- Strong knowledge of statistical programming languages such as R and Python
- Comfortable learning new technologies and working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to initiate, refine and complete projects with minimal guidance
Qualifications / Experience Requirements:
- A holistic understanding of the systems and infrastructure used to build products will facilitate insight into how different factors influence operational metrics
- Experience working with large and complex data sets is required
- Excellent pattern recognition and predictive modelling skills
- Experience in data visualization and implementing effective models/algorithms into a live solution is required
- Experience working with data and features derived from engineering/industrial sources is an advantage
- Experience of text mining techniques and related solutions is an advantage
- Bachelor's or post-graduate degree in data science, statistics or related quantitative field or chemical engineering with strong data science skills
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.