Skills: Electrical Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Join Wood, a world leading engineering and consultancy company across energy & the built environment. We are seeking a Senior Railway Signals Engineer to join our Canada East Infrastructure Group. This position will be based in our Burlington, Richmond Hill or Cambridge E&I offices in Canada, with the opportunity to balance a flexible remote work environment.
Wood offers a comprehensive suite of services, including proven success in leading multi-disciplinary teams, on projects of varying size, complexity and procurement models, from preliminary assessment and design through to detail design, contract preparation, tendering, construction administration, inspection, and post-construction monitoring.
- Develop detailed signal design for transit and heavy rail clients in both relay based and microprocessor based signal systems;
- Develop and analyze signal systems for transit and heavy rail in both Communications Based Train Control and traditional relay-based systems. Analysis includes braking calculations, control tables, routes and aspects, schematics, and phasing plans;
- Review and Approve detailed calculations, drawings using AutoCAD or MicroStation;
- Prepare technical specifications, procurement documents, design and installation packages, proposal evaluations, technical reports, cost estimates, detailed analyses, design justifications, and other materials suitable for procurement and construction purposes in rail signalling;
- Plan and create signalling schemes compliant to industry standards and codes using knowledge of signalling principles, circuits, and components;
- Ensure all signalling design elements conform to all applicable industry codes and standards and client specifications;
- Ensure all design elements are compliant with the relevant Rail Operation Rules
- Provide valuable leadership to junior staff and mentoring to develop their technical skills;
- Interact with clients to discuss technical topics in a clear and professional manner;
- Work with tight schedules, be flexible, control project budgets, and motivate junior staff;
- Plan and execute project work, based on an understanding of the project scope, schedule, and budget;
- Proposal and Project assignments may include Commuter, Subway, Light Rail, Heavy Rail, Transit Storage and Maintenance Facilitates, Transit Tunnels.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a related engineering discipline from an accredited university that is recognized by the provincial governing body of professional engineer.
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) licensed with the Professional Engineers Ontario (or be eligible) or P.E. License for Engineer position.
- PMP certification is an asset.
- Minimum of 10 years in Rail Systems Engineering or equivalent.
- Experience in a consulting or contractor environment.
- Experience in signalling design, circuit design, electromechanical relay logic design, communications-based signals design, and grade crossing warning systems design.
- Practical experience of all aspects of signalling design in an electrified railway environment, including interfaces to concepts of operation, rolling stock, trackwork and traction power.
- Ability to plan and produce compliant signalling schemes with minimum supervision knowledge of signalling principles, circuits, components, and the implications of working with other disciplines.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, MicroStation, and / or equivalent CADD software.
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Visio.
- Excellent soft skills individual including communication, interpersonal, presentation, leadership and report writing proficiency with a strong desire and ability to collaborate in problem solving in an integrated team environment.
- Experience in CBTC, CTC, OCS, Interlocking, Grade crossing and Yard control systems design.
- Experience with P3 (AFP) type of contract.
- Experience with Project Specific Output Specification (PSOS) development based on customer requirements.
- Deep knowledge of AREMA, GCS, CENELEC, IEEE standards and Transport Canada regulations.
- Deep knowledge of Metrolinx, CN and CP Code of practice and General instruction.
- Expertise in AutoCAD, MicroStation, Rational DOORs, MS Project, Lotus and MS Access.
- Expertise in CTC control office design including signaling communication hardware, application and embedded software is an asset.
- Experience in Fiber optics and Railroad radio communication design is an asset.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.