Skills: Environmental Engineer
Education: Associates/2 yr Degree/Diploma
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Various, United Kingdom
Due to continuing success in the marine sector we are seeking a number of talented marine technical professionals to join our Environment and Infrastructure team. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing and dynamic team of marine scientists and engineering professionals to build on Wood's core strengths in marine energy transition and to collaborate to deliver end to end services across the marine energy sectors (including offshore and floating wind, nuclear and interconnector sectors among others).
We are flexible on location within our network of UK offices and will consider both full and part-time work patterns.
What is in it for you?
This is an exciting time to join a fast paced and growing marine team where you will have the opportunity to develop your technical delivery skills across a range of projects. Our team has a proven track record of delivering consents for high profile marine projects and we are now in a position to expand the team to enable continued success. You will be joining a company with:
- Multi-sector consents and licensing experience and a passion to drive innovative approaches to environmental assessment.
- An unrivalled market position built on our ability to deliver end to end solutions from site selection and consenting, through to design and delivery.
- An extensive portfolio of projects worldwide offering exciting and varied career opportunities in the marine space.
There are significant opportunities for career development across Wood's wider Environment and Infrastructure consultancy business.
What you will be working on
You will support the delivery of large-scale marine and coastal infrastructure projects, in the following areas:
- Marine technical assessment, reporting and quality assurance of deliverables.
- stakeholder meetings and preparation of materials to support external consultation, including the Evidence Plan Process and Examination Phase of DCO projects.
- Provide support on associated assessments e.g. Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA), Water Framework Directive (WFD), European Protected Species (EPS) and Marine Conservation Zones (MCZ).
- Provide support in the delivery of post-consent compliance.
- Build relationships with both statutory consultees and other groups/members of the public at external events.
- To support marine business development in line with our marine business strategy.
- Liaison with other internal teams in particular planning, technical and onshore EIA teams.
The main responsibilities are to:
- Support the delivery of marine technical chapters as part of the EIA process or marine technical studies work across a variety of marine projects at various stages of the project lifecycle.
- Continue to grow our offshore project portfolio by supporting business development and bidding activities to win new work; and
Develop, motivate and mentor junior staff to reach their potential as is relevant for the grade.
Skills / Qualifications
The role requires excellent reporting and communications skills and the ability to work collaboratively within a team, seeking technical input from other disciplines to deliver carefully considered solutions to produce high quality work.
- Degree qualified to MSc, PhD level or equivalent in a marine discipline, e.g. marine biology/oceanography, aquatic ecology/resources management etc.
- A marine technical background and some experience of managing projects/tasks in the marine and/or coastal environment.
- Project management experience including management of subcontractors and associates financial management and administration desirable.
- An understanding of the EIA process.
- Experience in the drafting and production of Scoping/Screening reports, ES chapters, technical reports and in undertaking the assessment of effects in the marine environment.
- Knowledge of UK and European legislation in relation to protected habitats and species including knowledge of the HRA process.
- A knowledge of one or more of the following would be advantageous:
- benthic ecology;
- marine mammals;
- marine water and sediment quality;
- underwater noise and resultant impacts to fish and marine mammals;
- marine planning; and
- high level knowledge of marine coastal processes and experience in the interpretation of coastal processes assessment outputs to assess the effects on marine ecology.
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree (or equivalent), in a relevant environmental discipline, with a strong emphasis on EIA and/or SEA.
- Postgraduate qualification in environmental science/planning (or related field of study) (Desirable).
- Membership of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) or other professional accreditation/ registration with a recognised body. (Desirable)
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.