Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Emporia, Virginia, United States
Wood is currently sourcing an Electrician Journeyperson to join our team in Emporia, Virginia. You will be responsible for planning, layouts, installing, and repairing wiring, conduit, electrical fixtures, apparatus and control equipment. This position maintains, installs, tests, calibrates, modifies, troubleshoots, diagnoses, repairs, or replaces electrical and instrumentation control equipment, electrical systems and equipment for a solar power construction site. Solar experience is a plus. Working closely with Foreman, Superintendent, and Electrician Helpers.
U.S Only : Authorization to work lawfully in the U.S. without sponsorship from Wood is required.
Skills / Qualifications
- Prepares sketches showing location of wiring and equipment or follows diagrams or blueprints insuring that concealed wiring is installed before completion of future walls, ceilings, and flooring
- Measures, cuts, bends, threads, assembles and installs electrical conduit using such tools as a hacksaw, pipe threader, tape measure and conduit benders
- Pulls wiring through conduit, assisted by helper
- Cable pulling
- Splices wires by stripping insulation from terminal leads with knife or pliers, twisting or soldering wires together and applying tape or terminal caps
- Connects wiring to lighting fixtures and power equipment using hand tools
- Installs control and distribution apparatus, such as switches, relays and circuit- breaker panels, and fastens in place with screws or bolts using hand or power tools
- Connects power cables to equipment and installs grounding leads
- Test continuity of circuit to insure electrical compatibility and safety of components using testing instruments such as ohmmeter, battery and buzzer and oscilloscope
- Observes functioning of installed equipment or system to determine hazards and need for adjustments, relocation, or replacement
- Disassembles and repairs defective electrical equipment or systems
- Load, transport and unload material, tools, equipment and supplies
- Maintains tools and equipment
- Be able to distinguish colors
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and project rules Performs other duties as required
- Be motivated and work safely and productively
- Understand and respond accordingly to all safety alerts, warnings, hazards, etc
- May require a high school diploma or its equivalent with previous years of experience in the field or in a related area
- Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field
- Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job
- Works under immediate supervision
- Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.