Skills: Environmental Engineer
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
We are part of a 45,000 strong global provider who can offer a full project lifecycle service to our clients on a global basis. Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) and consenting is a critical component of this broad service offering. We have an extensive track record in delivering consents for large, complex, multidisciplinary projects in the UK and globally across multiple sectors. We pride ourselves in our industry-wide major infrastructure experience and our digitally enabled approach to delivering cost effective solutions for our clients.
We are looking to recruit an EIA Consultant/Senior Consultant to be based in either our Newcastle upon Tyne or Glasgow offices. The successful a pplicant will make a significant contribution to our reputable and successful team, delivering EIAs for a wide range of high-profile major projects across a variety of sectors including: nuclear, aviation, renewables, urban regeneration, grid connection and transport related projects.
You will join a dynamic, enthusiastic and supportive team and will experience a challenging, but fulfilling working environment. There are significant opportunities for ongoing and structured career development across Wood's wider Environment and Infrastructure consultancy business.
This is an exciting time to join a fast paced, high profile and growing team with high level strategic backing to take forward our growth in Energy Transition and Sustainable Infrastructure markets. You will have the opportunity to not only develop your technical delivery and project management experience, but to play an active role in shaping the future direction of the team in Wood.
Skills / Qualifications
Building on a strong academic background and experience in the field of EIA/Environmental Planning, you will be responsible for providing support to the Environmental Assessment team in terms of managing and delivering environmental consultancy services to a full range of clients. You will assist in coordinating and providing technical input into EIAs, as well as undertaking broader environmental management tasks for a variety of projects.
You will be a proactive and enthusiastic self-starter with:
- Relevant post graduate experience, working in a similar position within the UK or a jurisdiction with a comparable environmental planning system;
- A sound understanding of relevant UK environmental legislation, particularly in the field of EIA and some practical knowledge of some or all of the technical disciplines required for an EIA;
- An ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and through written work, is essential; combined with a high level of computer literacy, in particular Microsoft office;
- Experience in the use of GIS based software tools is desirable, but not essential, in this role.
- Attention to detail, as well as a commitment to delivery of high quality and timely outputs;
- An understanding of the importance of health and safety excellence;
- A desire to work as team player in a constructive team environment, combined with an ability to develop and maintain productive relationships with clients and internal and external project stakeholders;
- Experience (or an interest) in assisting in the undertaking of specialist environmental surveys (for example ecology surveys or noise and air quality monitoring);
- EIA experience across a number of market sectors which may include; renewables, transport, nuclear or land/property development;
- Aspirations in progressing to eventually fulfil a project management role in environmental consultancy; and
- Willingness to travel to client locations across the UK and (if necessary) abroad.
You will have some or all of the following qualifications:
- A degree (or equivalent), in a relevant environmental discipline, with a strong emphasis on EIA and/or SEA
- Postgraduate qualification in environmental science/planning (or related field of study)
- Membership of IEMA
- Full driving licence
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.