Skills: Electrical Engineering, Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
We are looking for the right people - people who want to innovate, achieve, grow and lead. We attract and retain the best talent by investing in our employees and empowering them to develop themselves and their careers. Experience the challenges, rewards and opportunity of working for one of the world's largest providers of products and services to the global energy industry.
Position Description and Responsibilities
- Under broad supervision, lead the control systems development effort using model-based development approach for the design of downhole tool or surface systems' control firmware
- Develops physics-based plant models for electromechanical/hydraulic/pneumatic systems withing oil wells, surface equipment and downhole tool systems using Simulink/Matlab
- Perform software-in-the-loop simulations
- Generates autocode from controller model and plant model
- Integrates autocode with infrastructure software
- Compiles firmware for the controller and for the hardware-in-the-loop simulator system
- Follows Halliburton process for Configuration Control of the firmware
- Works with team members to run firmware verification on hardware-in-the-loop simulator and on the downhole tool
- Owns the design of the firmware architecture of the simulator system and tool controller
- Deploys control theory, machine learning principles and/or artificial intelligence as applicable to develop automation of operations
- Evaluate the verification and validation requirements of tools under development (downhole tools and/or surface systems)
- Develop and execute on test plans, ensuring various tool operating cases are closely simulated, results meet project requirements, are properly reviewed and documented
- Close collaboration with hardware / systems / model / software developers, and tool development team, to ensure smooth transition from verification/validation to commercialization of system
- Promotes model-based development approach & automation for the downhole tools
- Comply with Halliburton HSE and Service Quality requirements, Halliburton's Lifecycle process as well as Halliburton Technology objectives in the following order: product safety, reliability, innovation, project timeliness (delivery), and cost
Duites will include
- Lead the design of firmware architecture using model-based development approach. Utilizes MATLAB/Simulink or equivalent model-based language for the tool's controller and simulator development
- Develops models for oil well and various dynamic systems within a downhole tool
- Documents design architecture and presents in design/project reviews.
- Generates autocode for the target processor/controller, from the models and integrates the auto generated code with the infrastructure code
- Generates standalone C/C++ code from model and integrate with infrastructure code
- Leads the model/firmware development, debugging and compilation process
- Runs tool controller model and plant models in closed loop to verify the integrity of the controller model
- Track and/or execute on tool-system verification plans and ensure documented results meet requirements
- Close collaboration with tool development team, Systems Engineering and/or Technical Service to propose system-level verification test cases
- Track or execute on system-level verification testing and deliver on a verified system for commercialization. Ensure proper review and documentation is carried out
- Develop understanding of various sensors used on downhole tools and their failure modes
- Develop capabilities in the simulator system to simulate the sensor output in various operating and failure modes
- Process and visualize field data using MATLAB and run through Simulink models
- Strong fundamentals in using model-based development tools eg. MATLAB/Simulink / LabVIEW etc systems and proficient in programming in C/C++ and MATLAB. Working knowledge of standard lab equipment (scopes, DMM, impedance analyzers, power supplies, etc.) is much preferred
- Working knowledge in the following domains is a plus: motor/valve/pump controls, power electronics control, series/parallel control loops, control system stability, PID controller design, adaptive control, digital filter design, real-time operating systems, various serial communication protocols, electromechanical systems.
- Develop regression test plans and plans for increasing the speed and thoroughness of the testing and development
- Local champion of the model-based development approach to drive productivity in the tool controller development process
- Work with global teams in US, India, Brazil and Singapore
- The ideal candidate will possess an undergraduate/Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, control systems/ computer science and/or Industrial/Systems Engineering, with at least 2 years of relevant experience. Candidates with additional relevant industrial experience, especially in controller model development, autocode generation, its integration & hardware-in-the-loop simulators, will be considered for Principle role
Halliburton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, citizenship, marital status, sex/gender, sexual preference/ orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, national origin, or any other status protected by law or regulation.
3000 N. Sam Houston Parkway E., Houston, Texas, 77032, United States
Requisition Number: 89470
Experience Level: Experienced Hire
Job Family: Engineering/Science/Technology
Product Service Line: Wireline and Perforating
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Additional Locations for this position:
Founded in 1919, Halliburton is one of the world’s leading providers of products and services to the upstream energy industry.
Halliburton is proud to be a services company, and our customers and investors appreciate our business model. Our strong competitive position not only comes from our geographic footprint and wide range of products and services, but also, more importantly, from the quality of our work and the dedication of our employees.
With approximately 55,000 employees, representing 140 nationalities in more than 80 countries, Halliburton touches much of the oil and gas that fuel our society.
Halliburton comprises 14 product service lines (PSLs). The PSLs operate in two divisions: Drilling and Evaluation, and Completion and Production.
Our Consulting and Project Management PSL works across both divisions and is the spearhead of our integrated-services strategy. Its financial results are included in the Drilling and Evaluation Division. PSLs are primarily responsible and accountable for strategy, technology development, process development, people development and capital allocation.
Integrity: Ethics and integrity are the foundation of our brand and the guiding principles for all we do.
Safety: Priority number one. We are focused on our own personal safety, as well as on the safety of others.
Collaboration: We work together with customers, and understand that everyone has a role in providing the best solution.
Competition: We compete to win, knowing that competition makes everyone stronger.
Creativity: We are resourceful. We are innovative, and strive to apply the right technology and solution every time.
Reliability: We deliver what we promise. We believe the quality of our service defines who we are.
Respect: We are honest with ourselves and with each other. We value our diverse skills and talents, and know we are stronger together as one family.
These values are our corporate DNA, the foundation for how we relate to each other and to every individual and entity with whom we interact. These are the principles that every Halliburton employee is expected to use, live by, and demonstrate on a daily basis.
Own Your Career
Our people are essential to our ability to innovate, achieve, grow, and lead. We attract and retain the best talent by investing in our employees and empowering them to develop themselves and their careers. We invest in our employees through leadership and competency development, competitive compensation plans, health benefits, work-life programs, and reward and incentive plans.
Opportunities for career development – and the tools you need to take advantage of them – are abundant. Combine those opportunities with your drive and capabilities, and your career path can go in nearly any direction you choose.