Skills: Engineering Technician
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Position Description and Responsibilities :
- With general autonomy, is recognized as a technical authority and mentors others on engineering design and project management techniques in all job processes
- With general autonomy, applies non-conventional concepts to oil field applications by collaborating in cross-discipline areas while incorporating Reliability, Health, Safety, and Environment
- Leverages strong understanding of customer challenges and operations, to focus and align key technology programs
- Creates and leads Intellectual Property efforts which are of strategic and material significance for long-term technology and business vision
- Provides advice on critical issues with top level officers of other organizations and companies
- Guides business decisions across locations and services by understanding multiple disciplines as related to oil industry
- Provides advisory and consulting work for the organization as a recognized authority for broad program areas or highly specialized areas
- May participate in long term strategic Technology initiatives
- Participates in, makes significant contributions to, and may provide leadership in professional societies
- With general autonomy, provides expertise and guidance in analysis, modification and designs for multiple projects and/or projects of great complexity
- Requires the ability to trade off innumerable, complex, highly interdependent variables and make timely upfront decisions with broader impact to architecture or electrical systems within downhole tool or surface systems
- Mentors/coaches and reviews work of a team developing electrical systems for wireline tools or systems and the application of standard electrical/electronic components for analog/digital electronics and firmware
- Mastery in applying control systems to incorporate automation of function at both micro and macro levels
- Investigates use of alternate components and provides input on strategic sourcing of same
- Organizes, structures and completes projects in an independent manner or lead design teams
- Provides consultation and technology transfer to internal and external peers
- Documents technology transfers when appropriate
- Provides expert technical advice on electrical and/or electronic hardware and/or firmware design, modification, testing and support of downhole tools and surface systems
- This may include analog and digital circuitry, control systems, power transmission and distribution, signal and communications systems
- Functions as a technical specialist who makes decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and have a far reaching impact on extensive engineering and related activities of the company
- Understanding of product design lifecycle process and stage gate process is a must
- Develop specifications, process study, research investigations, and report preparation
- Provide leadership in technical solutions, new approaches to problems encountered
- At this level individual demonstrates creativity, foresight, and mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving engineering problems in the most efficient and economical manner
- Incorporates reliability, HSE and Quality analysis during the design and test process
- Job role contributes directly to value creation
Duties will include:
- Chief architect for design of electrical systems of the wireline tool/automation systems and define sub-components. Define functional requirements and owner of electrical system at the product level
- Periodically review sub-system integration, ensuring proper understanding of interface requirements between different subject-matter experts (hardware, firmware, software). Track on sub-system verification plans and ensure documented results meet requirements
- Ensure test setups & equipment needed for validation of the tools and validation plan suffices the product requirements and required compliance demonstration
- Lead troubleshooting of complex integration issues faced by a complex system for wireline application, which is potentially multiple-disciplinary (Electrical, Mechanical, Control, Software, Physics). Strong fundamentals in electronics/control systems and working knowledge of standard lab equipment (scopes, DMM, power supplies, etc.) is much preferred. Working knowledge in the following domains is required: embedded systems, automation & controls, electromechanical systems, PCBA designs (analog, mixed-signals, digital, low-power to kW power electronics)
- Local champion in reliable systems, with specific considerations to Wireline. Incorporate both industrial and internal best practices for data-driven analysis to quantify as well as predict reliability and performance. Applicable experience in inferential statistics is a big plus
- Leader in commercialization process through early and close collaboration with Supply Chain function. Experience in BOM and documentation change management, component lead time resolution, and manufacturing qualification process is a plus
- Mentor/Coach team members and reviews their work
- Owner of electrical system/component design process. Ensure design process rigor is followed to ascertain compliance to product requirements
Skills acquired through the completion of an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering or similar discipline and 10-12 years of related experience. Completion of a masters or doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering, Control Systems, Electronics Engineering or similar discipline preferred. Candidates having qualifications that exceed the minimum job requirements will receive consideration for higher-level roles given (1) their experience, (2) additional job requirements, and/r (3) business needs. Depending on education, experience, and skills a variety of job opportunities might be available including
- Experience with architecture development and systems designs of complex electrical system
- Proficiency in design/test of Control & Automation systems
- Electrical Integration and testing
- Proficiency troubleshooting complex electrical systems
- Proficiency in processing laboratory and field data
- Experience designing laboratory tests, using test equipment and analyzing results
- Excellent written and verbal English-language communication skills
- Ability to interact with teams characterized by diverse technical focus
- Highly motivated and possessing an ability to quickly learn new concepts
- Ability to test or analyze the feasibility, design, operation, or performance of equipment, components, or systems
- Documentation of design process and suggest process improvements
Experience with Downhole tool development for wireline
Halliburton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, citizenship, marital status, sex/gender, sexual preference/ orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, national origin, or any other status protected by law or regulation.
3000 N. Sam Houston Parkway E., Houston, Texas, 77032, United States
Requisition Number: 89473
Experience Level: Experienced Hire
Job Family: Engineering/Science/Technology
Product Service Line: Wireline and Perforating
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Additional Locations for this position:
Founded in 1919, Halliburton is one of the world’s leading providers of products and services to the upstream energy industry.
Halliburton is proud to be a services company, and our customers and investors appreciate our business model. Our strong competitive position not only comes from our geographic footprint and wide range of products and services, but also, more importantly, from the quality of our work and the dedication of our employees.
With approximately 55,000 employees, representing 140 nationalities in more than 80 countries, Halliburton touches much of the oil and gas that fuel our society.
Halliburton comprises 14 product service lines (PSLs). The PSLs operate in two divisions: Drilling and Evaluation, and Completion and Production.
Our Consulting and Project Management PSL works across both divisions and is the spearhead of our integrated-services strategy. Its financial results are included in the Drilling and Evaluation Division. PSLs are primarily responsible and accountable for strategy, technology development, process development, people development and capital allocation.
Integrity: Ethics and integrity are the foundation of our brand and the guiding principles for all we do.
Safety: Priority number one. We are focused on our own personal safety, as well as on the safety of others.
Collaboration: We work together with customers, and understand that everyone has a role in providing the best solution.
Competition: We compete to win, knowing that competition makes everyone stronger.
Creativity: We are resourceful. We are innovative, and strive to apply the right technology and solution every time.
Reliability: We deliver what we promise. We believe the quality of our service defines who we are.
Respect: We are honest with ourselves and with each other. We value our diverse skills and talents, and know we are stronger together as one family.
These values are our corporate DNA, the foundation for how we relate to each other and to every individual and entity with whom we interact. These are the principles that every Halliburton employee is expected to use, live by, and demonstrate on a daily basis.
Own Your Career
Our people are essential to our ability to innovate, achieve, grow, and lead. We attract and retain the best talent by investing in our employees and empowering them to develop themselves and their careers. We invest in our employees through leadership and competency development, competitive compensation plans, health benefits, work-life programs, and reward and incentive plans.
Opportunities for career development – and the tools you need to take advantage of them – are abundant. Combine those opportunities with your drive and capabilities, and your career path can go in nearly any direction you choose.