United Kingdom - , Birmingham - UKJob Summary
Based in our Birmingham office, we have a dedicated tunnelling team working on some of the most challenging tunnelling projects across both the UK and abroad. These include High Speed Rail between Birmingham and the North, A303 Stonehenge Tunnel, Hinkley Point C Power Station, Great Western Line electrification, NEOM and Jeddah Stormwater Sewers.
At AECOM we deliver a wide range of projects, from client based delivery through to the detailed design for Design and Construct contractors. We pride ourselves on our technical excellence, offering buildable and safe design solutions on high profile challenging projects.
We are actively looking to expand our core tunnelling business with the appointment of a Senior/Principal Engineer within a civil/structural bias within the tunnelling team. We offer the opportunity to work on some of the largest and most challenging tunnelling projects in a supportive team environment.
Career progression and employee development are key to AECOM's success. We provide the necessary support and opportunity for our team members to grow and improve their technical ability.
You will understand risk management and will need to demonstrate experience delivering tunnelling projects and working as part of a multi-discipline team.
You will be a key member of the team and provide design and design management while interfacing with other key project disciplines including: geotechnical, transportation, environmental, mechanical & electrical engineering disciplines.
You will be required to guide packages of work in your control and deliver designs, reports and specifications for underground works.
You will, with support form the wider team, be required to mentor and guide other early career members of the team.
This is an exciting opportunity for a professional to further develop with our core team in Birmingham, whilst also playing an active role in expanding the business within the UK and overseas. This is a challenging role involving the technical delivery of complex tunnelling projects. The role will require a range of skills including technical excellence, excellent aural and written communication, innovative approaches to problem solving, plus successful delivery against time and budget.
- Senior technical resource may serve as technical advisor for team
- Provides specialized technical input to studies and design for staff's specific area of expertise.
- Develops study and design procedures to facilitate high quality cost effective work by others.
- Participates in interdisciplinary review of project deliverables.
- Develops construction cost estimates and estimates of technical efforts for projects.
- Uses expertise in all steps of completing discipline component of PS&E package.
- Performs quality control review of design calculations or drawings.
- Prepares technical specification sections.
- Provides input to the development of engineering budget and schedule to meet requirements.
- A degree in Civil or Civil & Structural Engineering
- Experienced in the design of concrete and steel to industry standards, such as Eurocodes.
- Ideally be able to demonstrate experience in one or more of the following sectors: Water transfer tunnels; Highway tunnels; High Speed, Standard & light rail; Mining; Airport infrastructure; Onshore & offshore tunnels; Power tunnels.
- Experience in the methods and techniques used in the design of tunnel linings including: segmental, jacked, cast insitu, sprayed concrete, masonry/blockwork, rock bolted/anchored and unlined.
- Experience in the methods and techniques used in the design of shafts including: segmental, secant piled, diaphragm wall and sprayed concrete.
- Demonstrable experience of soil structure interaction and geotechnical experience.
- Competent in industry standard 3D Finite Element Software and/or experience in modelling soil structure interaction using industry standard software.
Your benefits will include:
- An MSc/MEng in Soil Mechanics/Geotechnical/Tunnelling Engineering would be an advantage
- Professional membership (MICE or similar) - or working towards achieving it.
- Five plus years post graduation experience in an office or construction environment.
- Additional experience in UD
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you'll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You'll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you're a member of the Reserve Forces you'll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to "make amazing happen" in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours.Job Category
Engineering - CivilBusiness Line
Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)Country
United KingdomPosition Status
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.