Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Skills: Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
United Kingdom - West Midlands, Birmingham - UK
Based in our Birmingham office, we have a dedicated tunnelling team working on some of the most challenging tunnelling projects across both the UK and abroad. Our current and recent portfolio of projects are wide ranging. These include: High Speed Rail between Birmingham and the north of England; Heathrow Terminal 2; A303 Stonehenge Tunnel; Thames Tideway Sewer; Belfast Sewer; NEOM Spine; Jeddah stormwater Sewers; Hinkley Point C Power Station; and, RWM Geological Disposal Facility.
We are actively looking to expand our core tunnelling business with the appointment of a Graduate / Assistant Engineer with a civil/structural bias within the tunnelling team. We offer the opportunity to work on some of the largest and most challenging tunnelling projects in a supportive team environment.
This is an exciting opportunity for a young professional to further develop with our core team in Birmingham, whilst also playing an active role in expanding the business within the UK and overseas. This is a challenging role involving the technical delivery of complex tunnelling projects. The role will require a range of skills including technical excellence, excellent aural and written communication, innovative approaches to problem solving.
- Tunnelling engineering professionals at AECOM will:
- Work within a wide range of sectors offering a challenging and varied workload, including: Water transfer tunnels; Highway tunnels; High Speed, Standard & light rail; Mining; Airport infrastructure; Onshore & offshore tunnels; Power tunnels
- Apply civil, structural and geotechnical knowledge gained throughout your degree
- Undertake feasibility studies & optioneering, through preliminary and detailed design; in particular the importance of understanding how designs can be constructed safely
- Complete and be mentored in tunnel, shaft and cavern designs in hard & soft ground using a variety of construction methods
- Identify and resolve complex engineering problems using finite element software backed up by solid empirical methods
- Be required, in time, to lead small projects or elements of larger projects and provide support and advice to other members of the team
- Identify opportunities to expand the existing business through client managers to build a broad and influential network through effective communication.
- Performs specific and limited portions of a broader assignment of an experienced engineer.
- Gathers and correlates basic engineering data using established and well-defined procedures.
- Works on detailed or routine engineering assignments involving calculations and relatively simple tests.
- Proposes approach to solve new problems encountered.
- Identifies discrepancies in results.
- Provides guidance to entry level engineers.
- Performs work in accordance with agreed upon budget and schedule with moderate supervision.
- Demonstrable interest in tunnelling projects and promoting the tunnelling activities
- Capability to satisfy client and business expectations and be able to consider the wider financial and commercial implications of their actions
- Communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing
- Structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Ability to work independently without losing initiative & focus
- A degree in Civil or Civil & Structural Engineering
- Willing and able to work towards a professional qualification (ICE, IStructE)
- An MSc/MEng in Soil Mechanics/Geotechnical/Tunnelling Engineering would be an advantage
- Any existing construction experience achieved through the degree/work placements would also prove advantageous.
Your benefits will include :
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you'll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You'll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you're a member of the Reserve Forces you'll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to "make amazing happen" in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours.
Job Category Engineering - Civil
Business Line Water
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 241835BR
Additional Locations UK - Croydon - Bedford Park
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.