United Kingdom - Hertfordshire, St AlbansJob Summary
An excellent opportunity for a highly-motivated individual to play an important role within our growing Water Resources Team. Increasing demands for our services have created an opportunity to be involved in the delivery of major schemes and provide professional services within the water sectors. We are looking for a Flood Risk/Drainage Engineer, capable of working independently with initiative to deliver projects and support the wider water team where required.
You will work closely with our teams of engineers, hydraulic modellers, environmental scientists and technical specialists to deliver a wide range of flood risk management and drainage projects in the UK and overseas. You will be responsible for the delivery of complex tasks and projects. Key responsibilities will include providing flood risk management and drainage advice to clients such as Local Authorities, Environment Agency, Highways England, water companies, and private sector businesses. You will support the professional development of junior members of the team and have responsibility for producing quality deliverables. As a team player, you will work as part of a diverse team to deliver benefits to the communities that we serve.
Role responsibilities include:
- Performs specific and limited portions of a broader assignment of an experienced engineer.
- Gathers and correlates basic engineering data using established and well-defined procedures.
- Works on detailed or routine engineering assignments involving calculations and relatively simple tests.
- Proposes approach to solve new problems encountered.
- Identifies discrepancies in results.
- Provides guidance to entry level engineers.
- Performs work in accordance with agreed upon budget and schedule with moderate supervision.
- Delivering FCERM activities for or on behalf of the Environment Agency and/or a Lead Local Flood Authority
- Providing consultation responses to planning applications on behalf of a flood risk or water authority
- Bachelor Degree in relevant Engineering field or equivalent.
- Experience of undertaking flood risk assessments, options appraisals, engineering calculations and / or economic appraisal.
- Ability to deliver reports, drawings and / or contract documents relating to flood risk management, drainage and water industry projects.
- Successful delivery of projects for the Environment Agency, Lead Local Flood Authority or Water Company.
- Delegating tasks and technical mentoring of junior team members.
- Experience of preparing/reviewing FRAs and Surface Water Drainage Strategies including the design of SuDS features (desirable).
Good knowledge of some of the following;
- UK legislation affecting flooding, surface water management, water resource planning and risk management agencies;
- Water Resource Planning Guidelines, Water Framework Directive (WFD) and a desire to develop new approaches;
- Knowledge of SuDS design and appropriate application
- General knowledge and understanding of water and wastewater infrastructure, able to communicate with Stakeholders in these fields.
- Understanding of hydrology and hydraulic assessment
Your benefits will include:
- Ideally the candidate will be, or in the advanced stages of becoming, a Chartered Member of a relevant professional body e.g. CIWEM or ICE
- Understanding of Environment Agency, Water Company and / or Highways England procedures.
- The use of ISIS/Tuflow, Flood Modeller and Infoworks ICM
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you'll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You'll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you're a member of the Reserve Forces you'll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to "make amazing happen" in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours.Job Category
Engineering - CivilBusiness Line
Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)Country
United KingdomPosition Status
UK - Birmingham - Colmore Plaza, UK - Cambridge - Wellbrook Court, UK - Croydon - Bedford ParkClearance Required
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.