Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Located in region: North America
The Driller is in charge of the drill crew and the rig floor area. He/she is responsible for operating all drilling, hoisting and mud circulating equipment, following directions from the well program in accordance with Pacific Drilling policies and procedures, in a safe and efficient manner.
The driller is assigned to the main well center (aft) and is in charge of the rig floor area.
Note: on Pacific Scirocco and Pacific Santa Ana, a second Driller is assigned to the auxiliary well center (forward)
Qualifications and Experience
The Driller is required to have:
- Five years offshore experience including two as a driller on a floating rig (preferably drillship) or validated experience as assistant driller on a Pacific Drilling drillship.
- Fluent English communication skills (oral and written)
- Demonstrated leadership and organization skills
- Completion of all training and certification requirements for the Driller position as described in the Pacific Drilling training matrix.
- Knowledge of all technical calculations required for the safe operation of the drilling unit and control of the well.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Comply with Pacific Drilling Code of Conduct and supporting policies, standards and applicable process documentation.
- Perform all work according to agreed expectations of both internal and external customers, focus on doing things right the first time, every time and contribute actively to continual improvement activities.
- Act as a Safety Leader ensuring the ongoing identification of hazards and the implementation of controls to manage the associated risks with a special focus on Well Control, Permit to Work and Isolation procedures.
- Ensure that operations are planned, organized, supervised and executed in accordance with well programs, rig move plans, Pacific Drilling requirements and contractual obligations.
- Monitor the well condition at all times (i.e. keep the hole full, depth, mud weight, weight on bit, circulating volumes, etc..). Interpret and respond to downhole conditions.
- Perform drilling related operations such as but not limited to directional drilling, working stuck pipe, running and cementing casing strings, coring, fishing, wireline logging, well testing.
- Maintain accurate record of tubular and tool dimensions in the hole (for instance but not limited to : internal and external diameter, fish neck, serial numbers)
- Ensure the solid control equipment and mud mixing operations are being monitored constantly and keep accurate records of fluid displacement when running tubular in or out of the hole.
- Promote and maintain a good working relationship with Client representative onboard, follow standard instructions and inform Toolpusher and Client representative of any concern, ensuring any deviation is properly communicated and documented.
- Implement, follow and regularly review Pacific Drilling work instructions, ensure they are understood and observed by all drill crews.
- Demonstrate leadership support for Pacific Drilling's Competence Management Program and implement all program requirements to ensure direct reports have the necessary competencies, training and skills to perform their job.
- Provide regular mentoring, appraisal and feedback to direct reports.
- Hold daily pre-tour meeting and pre-job meetings as often as required by the operations. When a deviation from the planned operations is necessary, stop the work, regroup and obtain approval prior to plan and implement the deviation.
- Maintain the hygiene and housekeeping onboard the rig floor and associated areas to Pacific Drilling standards with a particular focus on clear escape routes and walkways.
- Supervise all preventive maintenance or maintenance repairs occurring on drilling equipment.
- Plan and coordinate well control drills and ensure Well Control emergency procedures and responses are fully implemented and crew competencies/tickets valid and current.
- Manage the daily IADC drilling report and ensure the morning drilling report is correct.
- Openly communicate with Toolpusher, second driller (Pacific Scirocco and Pacific Santa Ana only), assistant drillers and drill crews, as well as other departments, client representative and service partners as required. Report any well or activity changes immediately to the toolpusher
- Provide detailed written handover at end of shift to the relieving driller.
Key Behavioral Attributes
- Safety and team oriented
- Enthusiastic, self-driven and dynamic, pro-active attitude
- Always promote company interest in a positive manner
- Demonstrate Commitment, Leadership and Accountability especially in Quality & HSE matters
- Actively train, coach subordinates to ensure readiness for the next promotion/position by monitoring their performance, and carrying out efficient appraisals as often as required.
Direct Manager/Supervisor - Toolpusher.
Functional Manager/Supervisor - N/A.
The Driller (assigned to the Main well center) has two direct reports on shift:
- Assistant Driller (assigned to the Main well center)
- Assistant Driller (assigned to the rig floor and associated areas)
Pacific Drilling is a fast growing company that is dedicated to becoming the preferred ultra-deepwater drilling contractor. The employees of Pacific Drilling consist of a group of hard working, results driven and passionate people. At the core of our company values is a customer oriented environment that operates with the utmost integrity.
If you are interested in a challenging and rewarding career, we would like to hear from you!