Skills: Dynamic Positioning
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Located in region: North America
Operation of the automated and fixed station keeping system of the vessel.
Qualifications and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Fluent English communication skills (oral and written).
- Completion of all mandatory training and certification requirements for DPO as described in the Pacific Drilling Offshore Training Matrix.
- Valid Nautical Institute Dynamic Positioning Operators courses, and valid Nautical Institute DP Certificate.
- Valid medical evaluation.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Comply with Pacific Drilling Code of Conduct and supporting policies, standards and applicable process documentation.
- Perform all work according to agreed expectations of both internal and external customers, focus on doing things right first time, every time and contribute actively to continual improvement activities.
- Operate the dynamic positioning (DP) equipment under the direction of the Sr. DPO or Chief Mate.
- Operate and understand the Ballast Control System, Power Management System and Fire and Gas Detection Systems.
- Maintain the vessel in a stable condition and at the correct draft and trim.
- Assist in setting up the DP System operational parameters.
- Ensure all DP System data is recorded.
- Advise the Chief Mate / Sr. DPO, or Master of potential position loss.
- Assist with running and maintaining records for hydrophones and subsea beacons.
- Make regular use of the onboard simulator, when available.
- Ensure there is adequate power and reserves of power for the maintenance of position and operations - give immediate attention of any problems.
- Assist with performing preventative maintenance on the DP equipment.
- Ensure that all defects or anomalies are reported to the Sr. DPO or Chief Mate and relevant department heads. Maintain records of these and ensure they are adequately corrected.
- Understudy the Sr. DPO and deputize as required.
- Stand navigational watch as required.
- Sound ballast and bulk tanks. Assist with loading and sampling of bulk products as required.
- Assist the Master and Chief Mate with deck operations as required. Perform emergency duties and responsibilities as stated on the Station Bill, DP Emergency Response Plan and vessel specific Emergency Response Manual.
- Utilize radar displays for detection and the interpretation of local severe weather patterns.
- System specific knowledge of DP Control System redundancy, alarms and warnings.
- System specific knowledge of Vessel Management System redundancy, alarms and warnings.
- Knowledge of the vessel's FMEA and its implications.
- Play an active role in the weekly meetings and all other Company Safety Management Systems.
- Perform planned maintenance on Firefighting Equipment and Life Saving Appliances, as well as other marine equipment as directed by the Chief Mate.
Key Behavioral Attributes
- Safety and team orientated.
- Enthusiastic, self motivated, dynamic and proactive attitude.
- Always promote the Company interest in a positive manner.
- Commitment, leadership and accountability, especially regarding Quality & HSE matters.
Direct Manager/Supervisor - Senior DPO
Functional Manager/Supervisor - Chief Mate
The DPO has one direct report:
Assistant Dynamic Positioning Operator (ADPO)
Pacific Drilling is a fast growing company that is dedicated to becoming the preferred ultra-deepwater drilling contractor. The employees of Pacific Drilling consist of a group of hard working, results driven and passionate people. At the core of our company values is a customer oriented environment that operates with the utmost integrity.
If you are interested in a challenging and rewarding career, we would like to hear from you!