Jacobs is currently seeking a Lead Engineer
to support our U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) customer in Washington, DC. The NRL employs some the nation's primer scientists and engineers who focus on immediate and long-range scientific and technical applications in support of the defense of the United States. The Advanced Space PNT Branch, as part of NRL, performs basic and applied research and development in support of Navy and other DoD projects with specific expertise in the areas of space-based systems and related ground-based systems.
The Lead Engineer will be responsible for:
- Working in a laboratory environment using lasers to cool and trap atoms.
- Participating in spectroscopy to lock lasers to atomic resonances, locking lasers to high finesse cavities, designing optical/laser system to control the experiment
- Writing experiment control software in Labview or other software
- Designing and building electronics to control laser parameters and laser modulators
- Collecting and analyzing experimental data
- Designing and building UHV vacuum systems that house the experiment
- Using an engineering or physics degree, creatively applies science, mathematical methods, and empirical evidence to the innovation, design, construction, operation and maintenance of structures, machines, materials, devices, systems, processes, and organizations
- Serves as the top level company expert and recognized authority in one engineering discipline or specialty area, such as electrical, mechanical, aerospace, chemical, civil and industrial
- Conducts preliminary and advanced design studies and prepares and presents major portions of engineering proposals
- Conceives and develops solutions to complex analytical, design, and test problems that program(s) experience
- Contributes to systems philosophy and design objectives of highly complex systems
- Analyzes and resolves critical failures in test and service without the benefit theoretical studies
- Assures continuity of design features from advanced design through contract status
- Writes very complex specifications and engineering reports as a result of advance studies, special engineering investigations, and similar activities
- Develops aspects of new theory and design criteria for general application
- 4-5 years' experience in physics or engineering (optical, electrical or mechanical)
- 2-3 years working with lasers and optics in a research laboratory
- Experience with/Knowledge of lasers, optics, optical systems, optoelectronics, UHV vacuum systems, Labview, Matlab/Mathematica
- Demonstrated expertise with electrical, mechanical, and software support systems used for designing, building, testing, and evaluating sensors
- Demonstrated experience using Matlab, Python, and/or other scientific programming languages is required
- This position requires a Secret security clearance , based on current background investigation (SBI), as well as the favorable completion of polygraph. Clearance and polygraph processing will be completed by the U.S. Government. Factors considered for a U.S. Government Security Clearance include, but are not limited to: U.S. Citizenship (Required); Favorable Criminal History Check; Education Verification; Abuse/Illegal Drug Use; Credit Check; Subject Interview;
Physical Requirements: Most work will be done at a desk or computer.
Work Environment: General Office environment. The work environment is fast-paced and sometimes involves extreme deadline pressures. The nature of the work requires a high degree of teamwork and cooperation with other members of the staff as well as individuals across the Company and Customers.
Equipment & Machines: General office equipment including PC/laptop, Fax, Copiers, Shredder, Printers, Telephone, and other miscellaneous office equipment.
Attendance: Attendance is critical at all times. Must be able to work a 40-hour workweek, normally Monday through Friday. However, times and days may vary depending on business requirements. Needs to be available to work overtime during critical peaks and be available to meet last minute requests for overtime should the situation occur.
Other Essential Functions: Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Must be able to interface with individuals at all levels of the organization both verbally and in writing. Must be well-organized with the ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously. Must work well under pressure to meet deadline requirements. Must be willing to travel as needed. Must take and pass a drug test and background check as well as a motor vehicle records check. Must be a US citizen.