Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Skills: Chemical Engineering, Reliability Engineer
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Iowa City, Iowa, United States
ENGIE has an immediate opening for a Thermal Performance Engineer located in Iowa City, IA. This position main objective is to support the operations and maintenance departments within the utility system in identifying and implementing efficiency, reliability and availability improvements to ensure corporate objectives are met. It is expected that this individual be a self-starter and be able to develop a plan to meet their objectives with review and alignment provided by their direct supervisor/manager. Position will serve the Power Plant, Chilled Water Plant, and distribution systems.
What you'll do:
- Provide engineering analysis, inspections and support to operations to keep steam and chilled water equipment and systems running at maximum reliability and efficiency levels while maintaining personnel safety, asset safety and environmental compliance.
- Monitor steam and chilled water asset and system efficiencies. Identify and troubleshoot deviations from expected values.
- Conduct systematic analysis and report on the results and deviations detected within the steam and chilled water systems. Identify opportunities for process or system improvements by analyzing utility system data from different systems, making mass & heat balances of the process, modeling, simulating and other quantification methods.
- Review raw data for consistency and accuracy by identifying irregularities, anomalies, corrupted or missing data points or files and correcting or compensating reporting output, if possible, and if not, notating the error or anomaly.
- Monitor data acquisition methods, systems or procedures for consistency and accuracy. Observe trends, error frequencies, or instrument or system failures or malfunctions, and initiate corrective or improvement actions with operations and maintenance.
- Generate timely and accurate reports including but not limited to operational reports, intercompany reports, and Key Performance indicators (KPIs).
- Assist utility system management with performance projections to help optimize the cost effectiveness of various operational strategies or maintenance scenarios, in addition to supporting logistics, budgeting and forecasting efforts.
- Assist operations departments in continually monitoring overall utility system assets and systems to recommend best operating practices and initiate changes to improve utility system efficiencies in order to ensure that key energy consumption and production targets are met.
- Assist controls department in defining, developing and fine-tuning control logic to optimize the overall efficiencies of assets and the utility systems.
- Evaluate thermal performance of steam and chilled water cycles [power output, heat rate, pressures, temperatures, component efficiencies, etc.] utilizing thermodynamic engineering principles demonstrated through hand and computer calculations.
- Provide qualitative analyses with recommendations that will improve the thermal system operation, availability and reliability of the monitored steam and chilled water cycles.
- Determine the causes of steam and chilled water cycle performance losses through diagnostic analysis of operational data, along with physical inspection results of utility system components as required.
- Interface with other technical and non-technical personnel communicating at a technical level that can be understood by the person that is receiving the information. Communications will include oral and written forms and can be for individuals, groups or large industry forums.
- Support the establishment and enforcement of safe working conditions and practice safe work habits in all activities.
- Ability to meet highest attendance requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments on a timely basis with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to use personal computer, calculator, and work with standard software applications.
- Must be physically capable to hear and understand audible alarms, detect changes in noise levels of rotating equipment and portable radio communication.
- Required to have eyesight corrected at 20/40 to accurately read and interpret items such as but not limited to instruments, gauges, drawings and manuals.
- Must be physically capable of wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to half and full-face respirators, fall protection equipment, hardhat, safety shoes, safety glasses, etc.
What you bring:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Mechanical or Chemical engineering
- Minimum of 3-5 years' experience working with thermal production systems
- Self-motivated and work well independently
- Organization and multi-tasking skills that strike a balance among validation/verification, requirements analysis, customer interaction and project oversight.
- Required to have a valid driver's license.
- Required to have a home/personal telephone.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of operating technicians, peers, contractors, and design professionals.
- Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and applications.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Excellent organizational, supervisory and decision making/problem solving skills.
- For this position, you must have evidence of right to work in the U.S. There is no employer sponsorship of U.S. residency or work authorization with this role.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
Areas of the utility system can be extremely hot.
Areas of the utility system can be dirty and dusty.
Areas of the utility system can have moderate to high noise levels.
ENGIE North America isn't just participating in the Zero-Carbon transition, we're leading it! Join us as we develop energy that is more renewable, more efficient and more accessible to everyone.
Unite with us in leading the transformation of the world of energy! ENGIE is looking for talented and motivated individuals to create the future of energy and customer solutions. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity to help customers meet their energy challenges today and in the future. Are you up for the challenge?
At ENGIE, our goal is to support, encourage, promote, and thrive on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do so for the benefit of our employees, customers, products and services, and community. So ENGIE is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and is also an affirmative action employer. We are firmly committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees.
We are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at ENGIE are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. ENGIE is committed to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, civil union, or domestic partnership status, military service or veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition, genetic information, or any other legally protected category (referred to as "protected characteristics") as defined by applicable federal, state or local law in the locations where we operate.
If you need assistance with this application or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at ENGIENA-ENGIEHR@engie.com . Please note: This email address is reserved for individuals with disabilities in need of assistance, and is not a means of inquiry regarding positions or application status.
- Posting Date: Oct 16, 2020