Skills: Reliability Engineer
Experience: 14 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Warrington, England, United Kingdom
At Jacobs, we're challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world's most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good.
With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of approximately 52,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.
Visit jacobs.com and connect with Jacobs on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission.
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed -today and into tomorrow.
Jacob's Nuclear business is a world-renowned global nuclear service provider that has a wide range of contracts supporting the management and operation of existing nuclear power plants and facilities and the licensing of new nuclear build designs and programmes.
Our Structural Performance Team, based at our Birchwood Park office near Warrington in Cheshire, comprises a broad range of multi-disciplined structural integrity experts spanning metallurgy, materials science, corrosion science, finite element stress analysis, structural integrity analysis/assessment, structural and mechanical engineering and advanced manufacturing processes.
We provide these services to a range of customers, mainly but not exclusively in the nuclear industry, to ensure the economic and safe operation of capital-intensive plant, from both government and private industry.
We also actively participate in a number of national and international projects and maintain close links with universities, particularly in relation to the research and development work we undertake and support.
Currently, there is an opportunity for a Graduate Structural Integrity Engineer to work on developing and applying structural integrity assessment methods, particularly applied to metallic components. Ideally, an applicant should have an understanding of conventional and computational stress analysis, in particular the ABAQUS finite element package, and the use of fracture mechanics methodologies. Hands on training/development and support will be provided by experts in this field.
The successful applicant will work on a variety of projects and research tasks, for civil nuclear power, naval nuclear propulsion, process/chemical and other industries.
Key Responsibilities include:
Perform technical analysis/consultancy, completing assigned tasks to time, cost and quality.
• Provide technical input to tasks and projects.
• Undertake documentation, record keeping and review in line with QA and project requirements.
• Organise own work to meet project deadlines
Produce fit-for-purpose deliverables such as contributions to customer reports, analysis of calculated or measured results, minutes of meetings.
• Produce contributions to customer reports.
• Perform technical studies and/or calculations, analyse results, summarise findings.
• Attend project meetings and documents accordingly.
Pro-actively interact and collaborate with project team.
• Pro-actively engage with project team members as required to ensure successful outcome to allocated tasks.
• Visit customer sites, and work on customer sites, as project needs demand.
Develop own consultancy and technical skills.
• Gain familiarity with business systems and tools.
• Implement personal development plan, including technical development.
Role Outline includes:
Applying Knowledge and Skills - Understand the role and keep up-to-date.
Acquire, maintain, apply and shares knowledge, skills and experience to add value to our business.
• Apply knowledge and skill or experience to solve problems in a timely manner;
• Competently use agreed processes/methods to achieve objectives;
• Use own initiative to solve problems;
• Work is accurate and can check peers work if required;
• Respond to changing requirements and keep knowledge up to date with changes in outside world.
Delivering to customers - Respond, ensure satisfaction.
Maintain the appropriate service for both internal and external customers. Meet and strive to exceed customer expectations and to deliver a quality service or product.
• Maintain appropriate dialogue with customer;
• Demonstrate understanding of what client wants;
• Communicate the benefit of our service/product to the customer;
• Ensure own activities are co-ordinated with the team;
• Keep promises;
• Assure delivery.
Communicating - Clarity and using facts.
Receive and deliver information to ensure action and shared understanding, maintain/create a positive relationship with colleagues, customers and suppliers.
• Listen, check for understanding;
• Speak clearly and to the point;
• Written output is concise, easily understood, accurate and on time;
• Approach makes a positive impression on others;
• Colleagues are comfortable sharing work issues with you;
• Respond to all forms of communication appropriately.
Working with Our People - Self and Others.
Support and encourage colleagues. Understand and acknowledge the feelings of others. Is aware of impact on teams and individuals, adapt behaviour to enhance collaboration.
• Responsible for own and others' safety and reports safety problems;
• Is open minded to alternatives;
• Seek and gives feedback on performance;
• Interact with colleagues effectively and with respect;
• Work flexibly to meet goals and delivers on promises.
Advancing our Business - Get today's work done.
Identify and promote opportunities for growth, efficient cost and resource management.
• Effective operation of business systems;
• Deliver to time, cost and quality;
• Control, monitors and minimises risk;
• Monitor and report progress;
• Spot ways to extend current customer relationships;
• Timely reporting and accurate project/work knowledge.
Taking the Lead - Manage self and has a positive impact on others.
Inspire others with a positive approach and look forward. Being engaged and involve others to contribute.
• Implement new ways of working and organises own work effectively;
• Encourage and help colleagues and work to build relationships within team;
• Share knowledge to achieve better outcome;
• Take ownership of issues;
• Know when to seek guidance and does so effectively;
• Adopt a logical approach to deliver objectives.
Level 12 - Honours Degree (or equivalent) in relevant technical subject (e.g. BEng/BSc).
Pro-active verbal communication skills.
Sound level of writing skills.
Demonstration of personal behaviours in keeping with Jacobs governing principles.
Be in a position to attain UK Security Clearance.
Level 14 - up to 2 years' experience.
Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
An interest or aptitude in one or more of the following:
Knowledge of Nuclear Power Plant Operation/Design
Finite Element Analysis;
High Temperature Analysis;
Design Codes & Standards;
Safety Case / Nuclear Regulation;
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go 'BeyondZero' by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.