Pueblo, Colorado, United States
Pueblo, Colorado, United States
Skills: Chemical Engineering, Process Engineer
Experience: 9 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Pueblo, Colorado, United States
- Requisition ID: 230890
- Position Title: Senior Process Shift Cognizant Engineer - PCAPP
- Project: PCAPP
- Location: Pueblo, CO
- Posting End Date: 10/05/2020
- Relocation Authorized: National - Family
- Work Authorization: Possess right to work in the US without sponsorship
- US Citizenship Required: Yes
- Surety Program: UAP
- Other Requirements: Security Investigation, Drug/Alcohol Testing and Medical Examination, Adherence to AR (Army Regulation) 50-60, random drug and alcohol testing, Badge requirements
The Pueblo Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant (PCAPP) will safely destroy 2,611 tons of mustard agent in mortar rounds and artillery projectiles stored at the U.S. Army Pueblo Chemical Depot (PCD) approximately 25 miles from Pueblo, Colorado. Neutralization followed by biotreatment is the technology selected by the Department of Defense to destroy the Pueblo chemical weapons stockpile. The PCAPP plant began the operations and munition destruction phase as of September 2016.
Candidates for unescorted access to the Chemical Limited Area must successfully clear National Agency Check with Local Check (NACLC). All employees are subject and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment. Must be physically fit and able to work safely at an operating plant. Eligible applicants must be a US Citizen and successfully go through a government screening process. Based on project goals and objectives, candidates established within our local community are desirable.
The Pueblo Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant (PCAPP) is looking for a Senior Process Cognizant Engineer at the Pueblo, CO location. This position will have a duel role at PCAAP supporting efforts of both the Design and Cognizant System Engineering (CSE) groups. The individual filling this role will report to the Assistant Project Engineer at the PCAPP project. The Senior Process Cognizant Engineer will be assigned to an Operations shift, serve as initial technical point of contact (POC) for operational and maintenance issues, serve as an interface between Operations, Maintenance, Environmental, Client and Engineering. Will be required to track and record plant system issues and provide data to the CSE system owners, provide pertinent data and status to other Shift CSE's, perform formal shift turn overs. Additionally, investigates technical issues and presents findings in informal discussions and formal reports, coordinates technical issues with Design Engineering, Operations and Cognizant Systems Engineers, and aids Maintenance in the field. The Senior Process Cognizant Engineer is proficient with basic engineering deliverables such as drawings, specifications, Process Flow Diagrams, and Material & Energy Balance Calculations.
This is a long-term assignment on a dedicated DuPont Shift Schedule (12 hours per shift, rotating day and night shifts) This position may also require employees to go on a 4-10s schedule, then work hours are from 6:30am - 5:00pm Monday - Thursday. Overtime hours will be required as deemed necessary.
Principle responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Operations and Maintenance Support
- Reviews daily operational logs, assists to resolve issues, and provides support to engineering activities
- Reviews and recommends improvements to standing operating procedures and facility/system related procedures.
- Initiates actions to correct problems, acts as team leader when Skill level of operational and Maintenance personnel are lower than expected for certain tasks.
- Communicates system-specific maintenance as well as manufacturer and vendor recommendations and any product warnings.
- Provides technical support to Operations, which includes:
- Providing technical advice to ensure their understanding of the need for operational requirements.
- Supporting personnel technical training.
- Preparing for and supporting operational readiness reviews and other testing activities.
- Provides technical direction to Maintenance and Work Control, which includes:
- Developing and reviewing purchase requisitions for replacement and spare parts.
- Assisting in planning critical, unusual, or major maintenance activities.
- Developing preventative maintenance and job plans
- Recommending changes in maintenance procedures based upon engineering evaluations of the trends.
- Reviewing calibration procedures and records.
- Conducting investigations during upset conditions.
- Preparing contract scope of work, which includes:
- Attending pre-bid meetings and job-site visits, answering bidder questions, locating additional documentation needed to substantiate and answer bidder questions.
- Interfacing with the subcontractor, attending in-progress review meetings, and providing additional information to the subcontractor, as required.
- Performing final walk downs.
- Coordinating with Operations, Maintenance, and the contractor on scheduling installation activities.
- Evaluates selects, and applies standard engineering methods, techniques, procedures and criteria, using independent judgment with limited oversight.
- Produces technical papers such as engineering, trade, and case studies as required to support plant configuration changes, and/or process improvements/optimization.
- Performs equipment equivalency evaluations for the replacement of obsolete parts.
- Develops and revises Process Flow Diagrams, Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), formal calculations, and System Design Descriptions.
- Provides supporting analyses for conceptual and detailed design of systems, including equipment selection, and supporting the associated safety/hazards analysis.
- Provides supporting analyses for modeling plant throughput and equipment availability.
- Performs unit operations, reliability assessments, and troubleshooting of failure modes on configured plant equipment such as pumps, heat exchangers, packed bed scrubbers, autoclaves, thermal decontamination units, crystallizers, and batch reactors.
- Performs analysis of mechanical system instrumentation data using web-based acquisition software to determine current system health, foresee problems, and increase uptime.
- Produces test plans and evaluations for material processing and equipment qualification.
- Leads material compatibility evaluations.
- Coordinates closely with other technical disciplines in planning and executing work as an integrated team.
- Leads multi-disciplinary design teams on projects or PCAPP facility retrofits of moderate complexity.
- Produces design specifications for configured plant equipment.
- Generates material requisitions for procurement of configured plant equipment and components.
- Performs submittal reviews on vendor-supplied configured plant equipment and components.
- Resolve technical issues related to discipline and discuss with third parties (customer, suppliers, and regulators).
- Performs field walkdowns.
- Resolves nonconformance reports for mechanical systems and their components.
- Coordinates resolutions of technical issues within engineering discipline, with other engineering disciplines, and with operations, maintenance, and work planners.
- Supports development of project cost and schedule estimates.
- Provides design engineering support for PCAPP operations and maintenance.
- Schedules and coordinates off project design reviews.
- Identifies lessons learned from future reference, and draws from previous lessons learned data based for project deliverables.
- Prepares and reviews design guides and standards.
- Prepares and gives formal presentations to project management, clients and other team members.
- Coaches and mentors members of his or her team.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering from an accredited university or college with 9 years of progressive related experience. In lieu of a degree, 15 years of Mechanical or Chemical Engineering experience is required.
- Related experience includes, but is not limited to,
- Piping and Instrumentation Diagram (P&IDs) and System Design Description development.
- Originating calculations related to fluid dynamics, chemical stoichiometry, acid/based neutralization, specialized ventilation for low flammability limits and particulate capture, thermodynamics, heat transfer, mass transfer, and/or gas absorption for related equipment sizing, and overall system design for waste processing, refinery, power, or chemical process facilities.
- Technical paper originator
- Demonstrated expertise in mechanical systems design, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated strong technical leadership skills.
- Skill in oral and written communication .
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain any security clearances required for this position according to Army Regulation 50-6 (Chemical Surety).
- Experience in working with procedures meeting quality assurance programs such as ASME-NQA-1, MIL-Q-9858A, or ISO-9000.
- Knowledge of typical mechanical industry regulatory guides, codes, and standards.
- Professional Registration in Mechanical, Nuclear or Chemical Engineering.
- MS or PhD in Mechanical, Nuclear or Chemical Engineering from an accredited university or college.
- Multidisciplinary engineering proficiency (e.g., instrumentation and controls, plant design, and/or electrical engineering disciplines).
- Experience in government-based project execution (e.g., DOE, DoD etc.).
- Knowledge of Bechtel corporate guides and standards.
- Experience in design or operation of processes associated with chemical agent destruction and neutralization, wastewater treatment, or evaporation/crystallization for wastewater recovery.
This project will be subject to the Army Regulations (AR50-6 Chemical Surety) which governs persons performing work under the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) and Unescorted Access Program (UAP). Depending on the work performed and the access granted a government security investigation and other physical requirements such as respirators may be mandated. Eligibility to be placed in a PRP or UAP position requires US citizenship.
The following Surety Program marked with an "x" apply to this job:
_____ None / No Program
_____ This position is designated as a Chemical Duty Position and is subject to the requirements of the Chemical Personnel Reliability Program (CPRP). As a condition of employment, candidates and incumbents must favorably complete a series of screenings included but not limited to: a personnel security investigation, urinalysis testing, medical exam and respiratory screening, and must meet and maintain personnel suitability and reliability requirements established by Army Regulations.
__X__ This position is designated as an Unescorted Access Position (UAP). As a condition of employment, candidates and incumbents must favorably complete a series of screenings included but not limited to: a personnel security investigation, urinalysis testing, respiratory screening and must meet and maintain personnel suitability and reliability requirements established by Army Regulations.
Shaping tomorrow together!
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right-no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.