Jacobs Nuclear is a key partner for Hinkley Point C and EDF Energy in the UK. We hold a 10-year framework to provide Professional Consultancy Services to HPC including Engineering, Nuclear Safety and CDM. This gives Wood Nuclear a key strategic role in the project's Technical Management and Acceptance team, which is responsible for implementing construction regulations and managing design risk assessments.
We are looking to recruit high value expertise from across regulated and comparable sectors to work in a collaborative environment. We are looking for people who are passionate about developing themselves in a fast-paced project environment, and in meeting the challenges this will provide to improve safety, service and delivery of work. We are keen to receive applications from candidates who are currently operating as Designers and Engineers (familiar with design standards) who are looking for a career move into a CDM Advisor role.
This role is your chance to be involved in one of the largest construction projects in Europe and to help successfully deliver the plant that will help power a large proportion of UK homes and businesses in the future. We're excited about this project and this opportunity and we hope you are as well.
We're recruiting for CDM Advisors
to support the exciting New Build project at Hinkley Point C (HPC). There are a number of areas of work including fantastic opportunities in Site Engineering based at or near HPC construction site in a fantastic location in Somerset as well as support to the Technical Management Authority, Design Authority, Commissioning and other teams based in Bristol and/or Gloucester.
This role is crucial to the success of the HPC project and the work output will help to form the basis of operation of the plant in future years. The successful candidate will work in teams with both Jacobs and customer staff and will be expected to interact in a professional manner at all times, delivering work to time, cost and quality whilst maintaining an unerring focus on safety of themselves and others. We want you to join our team
Whilst this opportunity is specifically to support HPC, we're growing our offices in Gloucester and Bristol on the back of several significant opportunities in the nuclear new build and existing generation programmes. We're a professional, friendly and supportive team, and can offer exciting and challenging development opportunities across a range of projects. The South West of England is a dynamic and thriving environment in which to take the next step in your career and more widely, our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment. Overview
This is an office-based role focusing on the design phase of CDM 2015 and we are looking for candidates who have demonstrable experience of operating in this phase and who are familiar with the design standards used within the Nuclear industry.
We are looking for candidates at Junior Engineer or Engineer level who are looking to take the next career move and develop a career in CDM and Construction Engineering. Demonstrable experience of undertaking the formal role of a CDM Advisor or having TechIOSH or GradIOSH would be an advantage for the successful applicant, and we are primarily looking for candidates who are self-starters, proactive, capable and willing to challenge senior personnel from the customer and their contract partners.
This is an excellent opportunity for individuals with an engineering background (mechanical, electrical, process or civil) who are looking to develop and progress in this area. We would particularly welcome applications from those early in their career with the desire to specialise in this field. Experience within the nuclear industry is desirable, however this role would also suit individuals with a background in operations or construction. Previous experience of directly interfacing with customers, regulators (e.g. ONR, Network Rail, or similar), Contractors and industry is desirable. Responsibilities:
A wide-ranging technical knowledge and educational base are required to ensure the delivery of challenging projects and customer targets.
Qualifications: Essential Skills:
- To provide advice and guidance on compliance with the requirements of the CDM Regulations 2015 and other key UK H&S Regulations
- Ensuring compliance with relevant Designer/Principal Designer standards to ensure the legal responsibilities and the project specific requirements are met
- Work with clients, designers and contractors to ensure fit for purpose implementation of CDM 2015, and promote good communications between all parties
- Champion relevant good practices in conventional health and safety across all hazardous activities
- Ensure designs are reviewed to eliminate hazards and mitigate any residual design risk, reducing risks as low as is reasonably practicable
- Ensure the design is reviewed on a regular basis and agree a review schedule with the designers
- Undertake surveillance of design risk registers and associated documents to ensure hazards, risks and safe systems of work are adequately communicated
- Assess designer and contractor capability and on-going performance
- Ensure that health and safety is built into the whole end to end process
- Ensure arrangements are in place to monitor and satisfactorily close out any design changes that impact the health and safety of the design that arise during the construction phase
- Travelling within the UK and Europe to contribute to design, layout and constructability reviews and provide training and assessment of performance
- Work to enhance safety culture in design and on site
- Manage production of Health and Safety Files
- Report on progress and highlight areas of concern
- Appropriate qualifications in an Engineering subject e.g. MEng, BEng, or HND + experience, HNC + experience
- Knowledge and experience of HVAC, building services, piping, pressure vessels, tanks, structures, electrical (LV and/or HV), I&C.
- NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health or equivalent.
- Must be able to apply occupational safety requirements in the context of design and engineering.
- Awareness and understanding of the purpose of Safety Cases and Nuclear Safety Assessment in the Nuclear industry.
- Good report writing, verbal communication, written communication and presentation skills.
- Able to provide practical occupational safety solutions for design and engineering.
- In-depth knowledge of occupational safety principles, legislation and their interpretation and application to design and engineering.
- Knowledge of HSSE legislation including LOLER, PUWER and CDM
- Demonstrable communication skills with stakeholders both internally and externally
- Ability to work in a team in a multidisciplinary environment, potentially in a construction site environment
- Ability to think innovatively and solve complex problems
- Experience of working in a safety and safety case environment within either the nuclear industry, or a similar highly regulated industry such as petrochemical or rail (preferable)
- Knowledge/experience of operating in an environment with a graded approach to quality processes
- NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health or equivalent.
- Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (CMIOSH).
- Knowledge of UK Design Standards
- Experience of Design Substantiation
- Experience of Modular Design
- Experience of Sustainability Practices
- Act with integrity and possess a conscientious approach
- Self-motivated, with an ability and desire to work collaboratively with other teams and/or organisations to create new opportunities
- This role will require full time work in the centre of Bristol and/or Barnwood, Gloucester, and at HPC construction site in Somerset.
- Outgoing and personable with a successful track record of developing relationships with customers at all levels.
- Excellence in delivery for both Jacobs Nuclear and our customers.