Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed - today and into tomorrow.
Our People & Places Solutions business - reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do - the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology - we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Our ever-growing Rail Group are expanding. As one of the key members of the design team, the Engineering Manager (EM) is a key role supporting the winning and delivery of projects within the Rail Group.
EMs are accountable for day-to-day engineering/technical delivery of work on specific projects. They support the technical interface between the Project and the engineering disciplines and provides direction/guidance/support to the disciplines as required.
The EM is responsible for ensuring that there is a clear understanding of the project remit, the scope is well-defined and that the budget for each activity to be carried out by each discipline. The EM will ensure that there is appropriate dialogue between the disciplines during the project life, and, where necessary, between the different offices involved in the project. The EM will also monitor the outputs from the disciplines to ensure that they cover all aspects of the remit and are consistent with each other.
- Bid Strategy, Interactive Planning, Design Input Statement, Inter-office Work Agreements, and output from Client Expectation Surveys, Client Satisfactions Surveys, and (where appropriate) feedback against Client including Network Rail's KPIs.
- Champion the consistent use of Jacobs delivery tools/processes which ensure that all parties have an agreed understanding of the project and their part within it.
- Engineering Interface management and support Project Managers in technical delivery:
- Maintain a master schedule to allocate resources on their projects and bids.
- Provide integrated teams for project delivery that aligns with competency requirements and minimises office interface.
- Liaise with other EMs for additional resources and with the applicable Heads of Discipline (HoD) for supply chain where necessary.
- Through liaison with the HoD, seek assurance that Discipline Task Managers allocated to projects or bids have the appropriate expertise and experience for the role.
Responsibility for excellence in engineering delivery:
- Champion a culture of getting it right first time.
- Support the HoDs to drive efficient design - making use of a database of standard solutions.
- Support the HoDs through DRNs analysis etc to identify where training, recruitment etc is needed.
- Support the HoDs and Head of Engineering in ensuring a consistent approach to engineering delivery across all disciplines / offices.
- Provide engineering input into PQQs, bids and the development of momentum work on active project.
Responsibility for Engineering Approvals / Acceptance:
- Drive continual improvement of our deliverables by using the DRN analysis and other Client feedback to track positive and negative trends from previous months stats.
- Implement improvement measures and share good practice as applicable.
- On a day-to-day basis, be aware of delivery commitments made by each of the project disciplines, the issues which could adversely impact delivery, and take appropriate action to address delivery issues as necessary
- Ensure that the Rail Director and Project Manager is kept informed on delivery progress.
- Maximize the appropriate allocation of engineering resources to optimise backlog utilization.
- Work closely with sales teams to maintain continuity of workflow through successful technical and strategic input into delivery of prospects and bids.
- Liaise with the HoDs to ensure forward resource planning for projects and tenders are available through the management of technical discipline capacity or supply chain engagement.
- Maintain a headcount to deliver backlog and ongoing business requirements.
HR & Business Support:
- Support the HoD with recruitment and onboarding of new staff.
- Lead and support Business Development opportunities across the UK.
- Act as a line manager with responsibilities to engage, develop and monitor staff competence and capability.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree (BSc, MSc, BEng, MEng) or equivalent Degrees.
- Experience in multidiscipline design/design management.
- Knowledge of Rail and able to lead and guide others in implementation of Rail standards.
- Knowledge of Eurocodes and British Standards.
- Understands and previous experience as a Principle Designer's representative on major NR infrastructure.
- Previous experience with NR engineering assurance process and working on NR design projects.
- Understands NR operational environment, constraints to development of NR infrastructure and vision to find solutions to operational constraints.
- Rail System Engineering including; Requirements Specification and Management, Designing for robustness (Whole System Lifecycle), Safety by Design and System Integration and Verification.
- Ideally Chartered Engineer.
At Jacobs we have celebrated over 10 years of our culture of caring - 'BeyondZero
'. We see safety differently - we strive to go BeyondZero
by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we promote STEM
(Women in Science & Engineering) initiatives. When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks
, centred on inclusion and diversity. To find out more about our networks, check out our website: http://www.jacobs.com/join-us#grow-with-us
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours' contracts.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected. JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.