Jacobs' nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Jacobs are recruiting Control & Instrumentation Engineers to join our Nuclear business in our office in Newcastle upon Tyne.
The Newcastle office focuses predominantly on supporting the execution of projects relating to control, monitoring and high integrity safety systems and is the centre of excellence on control systems within Jacobs Nuclear.
We have long term strong relationships with all major clients in the nuclear industry in the UK and we can provide opportunities to work across a variety of nuclear projects at all stages of the project life cycle. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing presence and knowledge of the nuclear industry due to a heritage of working in this market for over 50 years.
We have C&I engineer roles for those interested in developing a long-term career in nuclear engineering. Candidates will ideally have some experience of EC&I engineering from another industry or an EC&I engineering degree. We will provide a tailored training and development programme to ensure you have the knowledge and experience to progress to more senior roles. Scope of Work
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Qualifications: Skills/ Qualifications:
- Successful execution of high-quality engineering work to time, quality, budget and customer satisfaction
- Support projects that are concerned with replacement of obsolete C&I systems / equipment or development of new systems, in particular control / PLC systems
- Support the design, configuration, implementation and testing of SCADA systems
- Design and testing of simulation software devices for complete project simulation
- Input into the safety justifications for the new or replacement C&I systems/components
- Understanding of fault analysis and reliability assessments using recognised techniques such as FMEA, FTA, HAZID and HAZOP
- Manage own engineering design and assessment work within associated project budgets
- Engage with clients in order to understand technical needs and develop successful working relationships
- Knowledge and experience of a range of C&I equipment and its application in both conventional and safety related applications
- Previous work on PLCs or control systems is desirable
- Knowledge of PLC programming and system integration, SCADA configuration and software testing techniques and experience of installation and commissioning of PLC / SCADA systems is desirable
- Knowledge and experience of relevant guidelines, standards and practices, specifically IEC 61508 / 61513 / 61226 is desirable
- Experience of working in a highly regulated industry
- Chartered engineer status with a relevant professional body (or experience necessary to qualify for such) or good demonstration of progression towards this standard