Didcot, England, United Kingdom
Didcot, England, United Kingdom
Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training, Safety Engineering, Safety Training Rep
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Didcot, England, United Kingdom
Jacobs is recruiting for a Safety Case Engineer in the early years of their career to be based at our offices in Harwell, Oxfordshire.
About Jacobs Nuclear:
Jacob's nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors. Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients andcommitted to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
The successful candidate will be a science/engineering graduate or a junior safety case consultant who can help our customers develop robust safety justifications for their plant and operations.
You will have the opportunity to undertake safety assessments and prepare safety cases for nuclear and other high hazard processes, initially under the supervision of more senior colleagues, and then as your experience grows on your own.
Jacobs is committed to the continuing professional development of our staff and your development will be overseen by one of your senior colleagues. In joining Jacobs, you will be part of a well-motivated, multidisciplinary team with a broad age and experience profile. You will have excellent opportunities to progress by furthering your technical capabilities and broadening into the wider interests of our company.
You will be involved in delivering a diverse range of consultancy projects for our customers mainly in the nuclear sector. Key aspects of the role are listed below.
- Preparation of safety assessments and supporting references;
- Participation in safety case workshops/seminars;
- Analysing problems, discussing and developing solutions with colleagues and customers;
- Engagement with partners, suppliers and customers;
- Checking work of other team members;
- Delivering work to time, cost and quality to ensure customer satisfaction
We are seeking high calibre candidates who have:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal); - Technical ability and are flexible and keen to develop their skills;
- The ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams;
- A good attention to detail;
- A positive, proactive and enthusiastic approach;
- A first degree in an appropriate scientific discipline;
- A full, clean UK Driver's License;
- A willingness to spend time working on client sites;
- Membership or a willingness to work towards membership of relevant professional institution.
Experience in the any or all of the following would be of value:
- Preparation of technical reports addressing safety issues;
- Understanding of safety requirements for nuclear or other highly regulated high hazard industry;
- Experience or knowledge of safety assessment techniques including hazard identification, fault schedules, fault / event tree analysis, radiological consequence assessment, qualitative / quantitative risk assessment;
- Experience of engineering design and/or substantiation processes in the nuclear or other highly regulated high hazard industry.
- For successful candidates, security clearance will need to be acquired as part of the joining process.
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Jacobs:
- A competitive reward package
- Work life balance - We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
- Family friendly benefits - maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
- International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
For your peace of mind
- We offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
- To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
- We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme.
- In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in.
- You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.