Skills: Mechanical Technician
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: United Kingdom
At Jacobs, we're challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world's most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good.
With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of approximately 52,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.
Visit jacobs.com and connect with Jacobs on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Critical Mission Solutions
Your mission is our mission
We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed -today and into tomorrow.
Jacobs is a global leader in the delivery of projects, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets.
Jacobs is currently recruiting for a Materials Testing Technician. The successful candidate will join the High Temperature Materials team and will be based at our Birchwood Park laboratory facilities, near Warrington in Cheshire, UK.
This is a laboratory-based role, operating mechanical testing machines to determine materials properties of metals. The operation of peripheral equipment, analysis of data and some interpretation of results are also required.
Jacobs includes one of the UK's leading Structural Integrity businesses, which undertakes research and consultancy on a range of structural and mechanical issues for nuclear power generators and other industries. The predominant activities of the department are a mixture of consulting, research, technical assessment and testing.
- Perform mechanical testing activities under guidance from task managers.
- Tests include high temperature fatigue, creep, creep crack growth, tensile, fracture toughness and other bespoke testing activities.
- Operation of peripheral equipment for recording of data.
- Follow written procedures and work instructions and maintain accurate quality assurance records for work performed.
- Completion of tasks to time, cost and quality to meet both internal and external customer requirements.
- Responsible for the safe operation of test rigs and for adopting safe working practices.
- To work flexibly as part of a scientific team.
The successful candidate will have the following:
• Experience of working in a laboratory.
• Knowledge of the theory behind mechanical testing techniques and International Testing Standards.
• Experience of safety principles and controls within a laboratory environment.
• Experience of operating a test programme under well-defined conditions and to a high level of quality.
• Possessing an eye for detail, manual dexterity and practical mechanical skills.
• Ideally, experience of working in a Mechanical Testing Laboratory performing one or more of the tests listed above and operating servo-hydraulic and/or servo-electric testing machines, including associated controllers, data acquisition devices and software.
Meet one of the following:
- Served a recognised mechanical apprenticeship or have equivalent experience
- HNC qualification, or above, in a relevant discipline such as Mechanical Engineering or Materials Science.
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go 'BeyondZero' by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.