United Kingdom - Bristol, Bristol - UKJob Summary
This role will involve undertaking network/system studies for a range of projects, using standard packages such as DIgSILENT PowerFactory, PSS/E, ETAP, PSCAD/EMTDC etc. Extensive experience in using at least one of these packages is essential.
Our T&D team primarily focuses on the management, design and supervision of electrical power projects at both transmission and distribution voltages ranging from 1kV to greater than 500kV.
We operate as a virtual team across 7 offices in the UK & Ireland, with the wide variety of skills required to meet the demands of our wide range of Clients, with multi-office project teams being established as necessary. As a team we provide a broad range of services in the sector covering substations, overhead lines, cables at both transmission and distribution level, HVDC systems, subsea interconnectors, specialist network studies, earthing and lightning protection design, renewable generation grid connection and balance of plant design, EV and electrification of heat infrastructure, plus others. The team acts as the centre of excellence for T&D engineering in UK&I as well as Europe, Middle-East and Africa, offering opportunities to work on projects abroad if interested.
This role requires a range of network planning and system studies to support ongoing projects. Demonstrable experience of successfully completing grid connection studies to the UK grid code (or grid codes in other jurisdictions) is essential. Typical recent or ongoing projects include:
- Grid connection studies for major new water pumping station
- Steady state and transient studies for the 132kV and 400kV grid connections for a number of innovative grid stability projects and black-start facilities.
- Reactive compensation study for Irish grid
- Studies to confirm concept of private wire network to feed major pumping station from a solar pv farm.
- Phase unbalance study for major rail bulk supply point
A flexible approach and ability to work across of range of projects at the same time is an important requirement.
- Performs specific and moderate portions of a broader assignment of an experienced engineer.
- Gathers and correlates basic engineering data using established and well-defined procedures.
- Works on detailed or routine engineering assignments involving calculations and relatively simple tests.
- Proposes approach to solve new problems encountered using modifications of standard procedures or methods developed in previous assignements.
- Identifies discrepancies in results.
- Provides guidance to entry level engineers.
- Performs work in accordance with agreed upon budget and schedule with little supervision.
- Independently performs all the tasks necessary to complete primary design elements for engineering works.
- Performance at this level requires developmental experience in a professional position.
Required/Essential Skills & Experience:
- Be working towards, or have already achieved, Chartered Engineer status.
- Experience of working at EHV transmission voltages
- Proven experience undertaking a range of network planning and system studies using industry standard packages.
- Advanced knowledge of at least one of the following packages is required, DIgSILENT PowerFactory, PSS/E, PSCAD/EMTDC or EMTP.
- Knowledge of National Grid and DNO grid connection studies requirements
- Strong team working culture
- Customer facing skills
- An ability to work flexibly across a broad range of projects
- The vision and skills to apply skills and experience to emerging technologies to meet new project requirements
Desirable Skills & Experience:
Experience of design in at least one of the following areas would be advantageous:
- Previous experience as a consultant would be advantageous
- Automation of studies using scripting (Python or similar)
- Experience of using ETAP
- Design of HV cable systems using Cymcap
- Earthing system studies and design using commercially available software such as CDEGS or similar.
- HVDC system studies
Your benefits will include:
- BSc/BEng Electrical Engineering (Hons) or MSc/MEng.
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you'll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You'll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you're a member of the Reserve Forces you'll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to "make amazing happen" in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours.Job Category
Engineering - Electrical / ElectronicBusiness Line
Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)Country
United KingdomPosition Status
UK - Glasgow - 120 Bothwell StreetClearance Required
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.