United Kingdom - Lanarkshire, GlasgowJob Summary
This role will involve supporting the design of EHV and HV cable systems, across full project life cycle, from feasibility studies to detailed design for Contractors. The role is focused on the design of c able installations and requires extensive experience of cable design and the use of CYMCAP and the key associated modules. The role will also provide the opportunity to work on the design of other electricity transmission system infrastructure, such as overhead lines and substations; being willing to work on these broader aspects will be essential.The Team
Our T&D team primarily focuses on the management, design and supervision of electrical power projects at both transmission and distribution voltages ranging from 1kV to greater than 500kV.
We operate as a virtual team across 7 offices in the UK & Ireland, with the wide variety of skills required to meet the demands of our wide range of Clients, with multi-office project teams being established as necessary. As a team we provide a broad range of services in the sector covering substations, overhead lines, cables at both transmission and distribution level, HVDC systems, subsea interconnectors, specialist network studies, earthing and lightning protection design, renewable generation grid connection and balance of plant design, EV and electrification of heat infrastructure, plus others. The team acts as the centre of excellence for T&D engineering in UK&I as well as Europe, Middle-East and Africa, offering opportunities to work on projects abroad if interested.The Role
As a Cable Systems Design Engineer, you will be responsible for the design of new cable installations, taking into account all factors impacting the design and selection of the cable. You must have a detailed understanding of the requirements for designing HV cable installations and be an experienced user of CYMCAP and some of its specialist modules. The current workload is primarily for onshore cable installation but there may also be a requirement for offshore cable design.Examples of recent and current projects include:
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Design of the first contestably built 220kV cable installation in Ireland
- Design of numerous 110kV cable connections for contestably built grid connections serving both generation and demand customers in Ireland
- Preliminary studies to determine the onshore routing and cable selection for a major new offshore wind farm.
- Constraint studies to support cable selection for two National Grid onshore HVDC cable installations.
- A major new 400kV transmission infrastructure project using entirely underground cables in the Middle-East.
- A flexible approach and ability to work across of range of projects at the same time is an important requirement.
Experience of design or management in at least one of the following areas is required. Additionally, broader experience across several of the following areas would be advantageous:
- Subsea cables at voltages of 11 kV and higher.
- Load flow and fault studies, using commercially available software e.g. DigSilent, ETAP, PSSE, PScad etc.
- Earthing system studies and design using commercially available software such as CDEGS or similar.
- Grid connections for major renewable generation developments
- Overhead line design.
- Strong experience in the design of HV and EHV cable systems, for both HVAC and HVDC systems.
- Experienced user of CYMCAP to support cable system design
- Experience of working at EHV transmission voltages
- Experience of working in teams.
- Customer facing skills.
- An ability to work flexibly across a broad range of projects
- Previous experience in a consulting engineering or design company
Your benefits will include:
- BSc/BEng Electrical Engineering (Hons) or MEng.
- Be working towards, or have already achieved, Chartered Engineer status.
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you'll also be able to explore flexible working arrangements through our FREEDOM TO GROW
- way of working. Core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You'll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you're a member of the Reserve Forces you'll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to "make amazing happen" in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours.Job Category
Engineering - Electrical / ElectronicBusiness Line
Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)Country
United KingdomPosition Status
IE - Dublin - Adelphi Plaza, UK - Bristol - Portwall PlaceClearance Required
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.