Skills: Marketing, PR / Corporate Communications
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
The External Affairs Specialist will manage strategic projects, programs and processes within the Corporate Affairs function. Working directly with the VP of External Affairs and senior leadership, the successful candidate will develop and execute comprehensive communications programs focused on public relations and platform management. This includes media monitoring activities and the external announcements process for the company. The successful candidate will also manage content for the company intranet and digital platforms on regular internal communications. This role will drive clear operational rigor for the Corporate Affairs function, with repeatable daily, weekly and monthly tasks to ensure critical operations are maintained, as well as acting as an advisor and trainer to employees on processes and systems.
- Leads media monitoring and develops regular reports for senior leadership.
- Manages content for external affairs team, including policies and training materials, as well as developing new content on the company's intranet and related platforms.
- Oversees the external announcements process, including management of a press release wire vendor and line-of-sight reporting on a weekly basis.
- Leads operations for the Corporate Affairs function, ensuring the 70+ team members are proficient in relevant systems and policies.
- Works closely with the corporate affairs and finance teams for internal communications announcements, including copywriting support for organizational changes and updates.
- Develops and maintains a learning & development communications program for the Corporate Affairs function, including a new onboarding package and policies.
- Produces a variety of tools and materials to support the Corporate Affairs team.
- Builds, maintains and leads working relationships with sales and commercial, project and product managers and the broader communication community ensuring effective collaboration and global coordination of activities.
- Analyzes and measure results of communications initiatives and adjusts in strategy/execution as appropriate.
- Accountable for budget management and reporting within the External Affairs function.
- Supports content development for the company's Corporate Responsibility and Annual Reports (1x/year) as well as Corporate Affairs' leadership meeting content.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in Communications, English, Marketing or a related field
- Minimum of 1-3 years' experience (including communications in a multi-national, mid to large size company is strongly preferred)
- Strong experience with communications tools and techniques related to project management
- Previous experience in project management required.
- Proficiency in content management web and digital systems, including:
- Microsoft Skype/Teams, Box, Sharepoint, and related CMS platforms
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage strict deadlines on a regular basis
- Strong writing skills - will need to be demonstrated by way of interview questionnaire
- Ability to work extended hours on a limited basis due to global nature of business (early mornings at least 1-2x/month).
- Ability to work from home as needed with broadband internet connection (at least 100MBs) and quiet workspace due to long-term COVID-19 social distancing policies.
- Both a strategist and an able hands-on practitioner.
- A reliable project manager, carrying out and directing the work of other people and suppliers to deliver projects on time and budget.
- Experience in successfully delivering repeatable processes and projects, and maintaining standards over time.
- Copes well working on several different tasks, sometimes with conflicting deadlines and under pressure.
- Ability to effectively interact and influence in line with objectives at all levels of the organization from senior level executives to all other employment segments, and effectively manage in a matrix organization.
- Comfortable working in global environments and across time zones.
- Media monitoring and/or public relations experience.
- Experience in Cision, Gorkana, Factiva, or other monitoring services a plus.
- Experience in press release and organizational writing skills, including AP Style.
- Mentoring/supervisory experience is desirable
- Good attention to detail and accuracy
- Approach effective communications plans with a creative and analytical mind.
- Proven ability to work with 3rd party agencies (PR, advertising, digital) to drive success
- Understanding of measurement and evaluation
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
With operations in over 120 countries, we provide better solutions for our customers and richer opportunities for our people. As a leading partner to the energy industry, we're committed to achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 and we're always looking for the right people to help us get there. People who are as passionate as we are about making energy safer, cleaner and more efficient.
Are you seeking an opportunity to make a real difference in a company that values innovation and progress? Join us and become part of a team of people who will challenge and inspire you! Let's come together and take energy forward.
Baker Hughes Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.