Houston, Texas, United States
Houston, Texas, United States
Skills: Geophysicist, Seismic
Other Skills: Machine Learning, Data Science
Experience: 1 + Years
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
Location: Houston, TX
Duration: 12 months
Perform geoscience research, analysis, and innovation within a multidisciplinary team to solve exploration and production problems. More specifically, the research objective is to do inversion of VSP DAS and geophone data for rock density and velocity using synthetic and field data, demonstrate the reduction of posterior uncertainty as a function of resolution, and to compare the information contents between conventional geophone and DAS data.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conceive, design and carry out applied geophysical research to resolve technical problems; apply best practices and transfer emerging technologies to support company's leading position as an energy provider; select algorithms, software, and workflows as well as approaches to integrate with other technologies
- Develop algorithms and software based on technology needs as expressed by business proponents in country and in alignment with Technology Leader; develop near- and longer-term research projects to address current operational needs while building fundamental knowledge and capabilities to support more advanced research objectives; define steps for project development
- Prepare and make presentations to management or the government, illustrating different geophysical problems and presenting conclusions or recommendations that have a high probability of improving results or resolving those problems
- Advise management on continuing needs for updates to project plans to ensure alignment with proponent operating plans and to ensure that all projects are consistent with business and technological objectives
- Prepare written reports on geophysical or computational procedures or activities, where judgment is required to evaluate potential applications to SAO exploration objectives; prepare and make presentations to management, for the company and government agencies, if warranted, illustrating different geophysical problems, results, and conclusions; prepare and deliver technical presentations and writes papers for peer-reviewed journals on research projects; may be on peer review committees for journals and conferences
- Evaluate major long-term trends in technical area and advises management on application of new technologies; serve as a conduit of technology transfer in technical area
- Perform other duties and participate in special projects as assigned
Education and Experience
- Master's degree in Geophysics, Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related science/engineering; Graduate study in a specialized discipline of Geophysics, a related science or other extended special training is desirable; advanced degree strongly desired.
- Basic knowledge of:
- relevant oil and gas industry practices including velocity model building, imaging, large-scale optimization, velocity analysis, signal processing
- numerical methods for solving partial differential equations, iterative methods for solving large-scale linear system, understanding of the properties of wave propagation in various media
- borehole geophysics (VSP) knowledge and experience is most preferable.
- Concepts of machine learning
- large-scale production software development for seismic simulation including Message Passing Interface (MPI) and OpenMP.
- input and output data format commonly used in oil industry.
- petrophysics, reservoir models, production monitoring, and seismic data pre-processing workflows is preferred.
- interpretation, well-log analysis, petroleum geology, and stratigraphy is preferred.
- Familiarity with languages such as MATLAB, Python, R , FORTRAN, C/C++, or Java is a must; proficiency in one of these languages is preferred
- Solid concept of software development including object-oriented programming and development/deployment is preferable
- Ability to:
- develop new algorithms and implement parallel software for seismic data processing/modeling/inversion
- contribute to innovations and technical publications in peer reviewed journals
- demonstrate proficiency with high-end workstations or high-performance clusters
- conduct geophysical analyses
- prepare highly technical reports and memoranda
- constantly learn new emerging technologies and apply them to new applications
- follow technology development in consortia and industry
- effectively collaborate with researchers and technicians in a multi-cultural and interdisciplinary team environment
- Proficient with business software applications
- Typically, at least three years of experience in subsurface geophysical applications; practical experience in production; advanced degree reduces experience requirement
- Must be able to comprehend and communicate accurately, clearly and concisely in English
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk and stand; talk and hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.