Skills: Ships Engineer
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Labor Pool, Brazil
Transocean is focused on being the employer of choice for the drilling industry.
We are challenging ourselves every day to push the performance of the company through technological advances and passion for our work.
- Supervise the maintenance and repair of mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic equipment onboard the vessel
- Exercise effective control and efficient operation of the technical and mechanical aspects of the rig with due regard to personnel safety, the rig, and protection of the environment
Reports to 1st Assistant Engineer
Supervises 3rd Assistant Engineer and Motor Operator
- High School Diploma (U.S.)/ Proof of Completion of Formal Education or Relevant Craft Certificate (where applicable)
- Successful Military Discharge - Preferred for U.S.
- Graduate of Trade School or University where knowledge and training acquired are applicable to job requirements - Preferred
- Valid medical examination and vaccination certificates
- Knowledge of all technical calculations required for the safe operation of the drilling unit
- Basic computer skills
- Valid 2nd Engineer Unlimited License (Class 2 Motor above 3000kW)
- Promotes a Safe and Respectful Work Environment: Proactively promotes and Maintains a healthy respect for open and transparent dialogue between all levels of personnel.
- Demonstrates care for the safety and well-being of all personnel, at all times. Invests in each person to provide equal opportunity for development and advancement of those qualified, to fulfill their career objectives. Respects the dignity of all personnel and recognizes their merit.
- Attend and participate in all required Safety and Operational meetings.
- Participate fully in the annual performance appraisal process, competency assessments based on performance against Operational Discipline requirements.
- Complete company training requirements for the 2nd Assistant Engineer job level as per the training matrix.
- Full participation in emergency drills and respond to emergency situations as per assigned duties on the station bill.
- Disciplined application and participation in the Task Planning & Risk Assessment Process.
- This is inclusive of:
- Understanding and perform the roles and responsibilities as assigned at the pre-job meeting.
- Understanding the hazards associated with the task.
- Understanding and effectively implementing the control measures required to mitigate identified hazards.
- Execute all tasks and task steps in a disciplined manner, following the sequence detailed in the relevant procedures.
- Recognize at risk behavior or conditions during tasks and call 'Time out for Safety' when unsure, or when the job does not go as planned.
- Participate in After Action Reviews to feedback lessons learned from performing the task.
- Report all incidents, potential hazards or abnormal situations to supervisors.
- Actively execute work in accordance with Company Safety Processes, e.g. START, Task Planning Risk Assessment and use of the Prompt Card, Safe Manual Handling, Working at Heights, etc.
- Call a Time Out for Safety (TOFS) when you do not understand the plan, when an unsafe condition is observed, or perceived, anytime personal impairment is recognized, when it's not clear what will happen next, or the hazards and associated risks for the task changes.
- Participate in the execution of the rigs 'Hold the Zero' plan.
- Comply with the company requirements to safeguard 'lone workers.'
- Maintain a safe and organized work area throughout all tasks and on completion of tasks.
- Incorporate the Task Planning and Risk Assessment process into all tasks, whether working alone or as part of a team.
- Apply the START process during the execution of planned tasks and daily operations. Ensure subordinate personnel are properly trained in the START process.
- Ensure subordinates are trained prior to using the permit to work (PTW) process. Approve all PTW as designated by the Master/OIM through the Control of Work Process; Ensure all task steps and controls are understood and any other activities that may be affected are identified before approving the PTW.
- Call a Time Out for Safety (TOFS) whenever an unplanned hazard or a change in the expected results is observed.
- Ensure that the Company QHSE policies and other programs are communicated to and understood by all personnel.
- Play an active part in the weekly meetings, FOCUS Improvement Program, and all other Company safety management systems.
- Ensure that a high standard of hygiene and housekeeping is maintained within the Areas of Responsibility.
- Ensure that subordinates understand their roles as related to the Emergency Response Plan and are capable of responding to emergency situations as designated on the station bill.
- Ensure all required well control drills are performed and evaluate all personnel's responses; Conduct After Action Reviews and ensure that findings are communicated to the crew and lessons learned captured.
- Ensure that DROPS inspections are conducted as per the rig's DROPS inspection program.
The underlying expectation is that all duties are carried out in compliance with the Company Operational Discipline expectations and HSE requirements. When considering assignment of duties for the 2nd Assistant Engineer, the Supervisor and the 2nd Assistant Engineer will apply the rules of task planning (CAKES) to determine if the assigned role is appropriate. This means confirming that the individuals involved have the knowledge, skills, and experience to carry out the task, and the task plan complies with policy before they are authorized to proceed.
- Coordinate and ensure that all mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic equipment maintenance and repair is done in a safe and prudent manner.
- Ensure conformance to policies, local and international regulations relating to the operation of the rig, and current pollution regulations.
- Monitor the power plants' controls and power distribution; ensure that power is available at all times.
- Ensure that the permit to work and isolation system is in place and followed.
- Participate in the effective management of the AIM (Asset & Inventory Management) system and ensure all records are maintained on a timely basis.
- Operate, maintain and repair as necessary the engine cooling water system, lube oil system, and fuel system.
- Supervise the maintenance and repair on all pumps and valves of the ballast system, thrusters, associated driven pumps and auxiliary equipment.
- Liaise with the marine department regarding the loading, ordering and use of fuel, potable water, and drill water in consideration of the rig's stability.
- Carry out equipment periodic maintenance according to AIM guidelines and coordinate same with First Engineer.
- Ensure that reports for repair and maintenance of equipment are accurate and complete.
- Carry out classification society surveys as part of continuous survey of machinery.
- Assist the First Engineer in ensuring that all third-party equipment is fit for purpose, certified, correctly installed, and maintained while on the rig.
- In conjunction with the First Engineer, monitor and control the use and distribution of consumables/materials; generate requisitions as required.
- Maintain an adequate supply of spares to fulfill maintenance requirements and facilitate a safe and efficient operation.
- Inform the First Engineer of any technical problems or limitations that may affect the safe operation of the rig.
- Implement outstanding recommendations from audits, as issued by Clients, Regulatory Authorities or rig management.
- Assist the First Engineer in supplying information for maintenance and repair budget.
- Assist in communicating equipment problems or breakdown with Field Support group and equipment vendors.
- Promote and maintain good working relationships with other departments, third-party personnel and Customer representatives.
- Ensure all Maintenance personnel meet the training requirements as per their applicable training matrix.
- Mentor, coach, develop and train crew members to ensure they are competent to work at their next job level.
- Provide leadership and motivation to the maintenance crews. Apply continuous improvement process.
- Mentor the 3rd Assistant Engineer and deputize when operations, security of well, and personnel safety are not at risk.
- Assist in training to ensure that all personnel are competent to perform their allocated jobs.
- Participate fully in the annual performance appraisal process.
- Apply appropriate accountability regarding recognition; recommend promotion or disciplinary action up to and including discharge.
No matter where in the world Transocean people are working, we are all pioneers at heart. We don’t shrink from challenges. They inspire us. Which is why we’ve been a company of firsts since our inception. Although we come from different countries, cultures and backgrounds, we’re united by our shared pursuit of excellence. We value the different perspectives represented throughout our organization, recognizing that our people are our most valuable asset.
In today’s competitive environment, when Transocean has asked our employees to embrace a performance culture that requires us to constantly seek improvement no matter how productive we are, our team has risen to the occasion. And in fact, they are changing the way we operate. If you are motivated by a work environment that consistently challenges you, one where you can have an impact that is felt on every rig and on the bottom lines of both Transocean and our customers, we encourage you to browse our available positions below and at www.deepwater.com/our-people
Transocean has received reports of unauthorized individuals falsely advertising or promising job opportunities and supporting their claims with forged documents. These individuals ask for money to cover processing fees, visas, work permits, etc. Transocean's hiring process does not include unsolicited offers of employment or require payment. We will only contact you if you have applied for employment through our website at: www.deepwater.com, or had contact with one of our local recruiting or field offices. We also have received reports of unauthorized solicitations of business or vendor quotes, which may request pricing and other commercial details. Please do not respond to any requests unless you can verify the origin of the request. Transocean communicates with its vendors using a vendor portal or direct communication with a designated Transocean representative known by vendors. Transocean will never ask you to send banking information by email. If you suspect fraud, we would encourage you to report such activity to your local police authorities.