BP has embarked on an ambitious plan to modernize and transform using digital technologies to drive efficiency, effectiveness and new business models. You are the Data Management/Science Specialist, responsible for providing technical data management services for one or more specific data domains.
You will promote data standards and resolve data management, migration, integration and data quality issues. You will also deliver global and/or local data management strategies and plans, resolve data domain issues and identify opportunities to improve data accuracy and efficiencies.
Using data and information analytical tools, you will help to develop prototypes through the identification and extraction of the right data and manipulation of the data into formats. This may involve creating specialist interfaces, transformation routines, or data science algorithms which can be used by data scientists. You will seek opportunities to continuously improve processes and operate in a dynamic and delivery focused environment, with the resources of one of the world's most forward-thinking IT departments and leading IT vendors at your fingertips.
At IT&S, all the roles are within Chapters. While your role will continue to remain within the Chapter, your initial activities described below may change over time.
We are looking for a Consultant Data Engineer with background in Data Analytics to work with our Enterprise Big Data platform team. This will include elements of development, data engineering, data integration, some end-user support and be responsible for supporting all aspects of data engineering delivery from scoping, design, development and test support, solution acceptance, production implementation and support. You will be within the platform team working closely with use case delivery teams. The role will combine elements of traditional SDLC execution as well as hands-on data engineering facing off to business partners, other IT teams and supporting the platform DevOps team.Main Responsibilities:
- Produce prototypes by quickly translating requirements into demonstrable data pipelines and iterate solution in short cycles
- Interrogate platform data sources using SQL & python and produce views of useful information to meet various business requirements
- Produce design artefacts to describe key components and interactions for development by self and team
- Maintain and improve the data engineering SDLC and framework
- Support of development and test activity of bp consumers
- Maintenance and development of transitioned data pipelines under enterprise and leadership of transition activities
- Support, maintain and improve reference implementation and documentation for key design patterns and standard methodology
- Maintenance and development of DataOps test frameworks, utilities and related assets
- Development of additional data engineering utilities for bp consumers
- Demonstration and documentation of evidence to demonstrate Acceptance Criteria
- Documentation of implementation for support and maintenance
- Mathematics/Computer Science/Data Science/Data Engineering/numerical related degree or equivalent
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- SQL skills for pipeline development and analysis
- Python for pipeline development and analysis
- Experience in toolsets for agile delivery management and DevOps; for example, Azure DevOps (ADO) or JIRA.
- Experience in integrated toolsets for supporting CI/CD, for example GIT or BitBucket, and cloud deployment services
- Experience of big data engineering environment delivering data pipelines, and ETL concepts
- Strong data analysis skills.
- Experience of developing dashboards using data visualisation tools such as Power BI & Tableau
Leadership and EQ:
- Analytical mindset - data driven ability to problem solve and refine engineering requirements
- Service oriented - understand principles of DevOps & ITIL and maintaining provision of products and services to consumers. Can work with ticketing systems.
- Attention to detail - focus on rigour and completeness of investigation, and consideration for the needs of BP customers
- Be a good communicator - able to deliver messages effectively, with good verbal communication skills, and act as an independent voice within a collaborative team.
- Be self-motivated and self-starting - able to work with little supervision and unfamiliar concepts quickly. Be confident in their judgement.
- You embrace a culture of change and agility, evolving continuously, adapting to our changing world.
- You are an effective team player, looking beyond your own area/organizational boundaries to consider the bigger picture and/or perspective of others, while understanding cultural differences.
- You continually enhance your self-awareness and seek input from others on your impact and effectiveness.
- Well organized, you balance proactive and reactive approaches and multiple priorities to complete tasks on time.
- You apply judgment and common sense - you use insight and good judgment to inform actions and respond to situations as they arise.
- You comply with BP's Code of Conduct and demonstrate strong leadership through BP's Leadership Expectations and Values & Behaviours.